Job Standard for Modern Languages Resource Center, Manager
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Mod Lang Res Ctr, Manager Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75051
- Pay Grade: P6
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Manager
- Family: Academic Programs
- Function: Instructional Services
This position supports the students and faculty of the Department of Modern Languages & Literatures (MLL) in the process of academic language instruction in a multicultural environment.
Provides direct supervision typically to professionals or skilled technical employees at the entry or intermediate level. Functions as advisor to unit and administration and sets goals and objectives for team members for achievement of operational results. Analyzes and resolves problems through drawing from prior experiences. Interprets policies (e.g., fiscal management, HR, contracts and grants, resource management in defined areas) and demonstrates solid subject matter knowledge. Exercises judgment within defined procedures and policies to determine appropriate action. Supervises staff to assure accountability and stewardship of campus resources (operational, financial, and human) in compliance with departmental goals and objectives.
BAchelor’s degree and 2 years relevant professional experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience in the organization of a language learning center, computer laboratory or media center, including supervision of staff, scheduling of activities, budgetary processes and application of copyright issues in a multimedia environment.
- Expertise with Windows and Mac hardware
- Significant related work experience in instructional technology, foreign language pedagogy, e-learning, CALL, and foreign language media.
- Native or near-native verbal and written fluency in English.
- Native or near-native verbal and written fluency in at least one of the following languages: American Sign Language, Arabic, Basque, Chinese, French, German, Japanese or Spanish.
- University-level foreign language teaching experience.
60% of Time the Mod Lang Res Ctr, Manager must:
- Support students in the modern languages resource center
- Hire, train and supervise the student lab assistants who provide computer lab support, conversation lab in the target language, and study groups in English for language learners in all eight languages taught in MLL.
- Assist faculty to successfully integrate student laboratory experiences into regular academic courses from 101 to 303 level, effectively use technology to facilitate language acquisition, and manage the hardware, software and other resources available to faculty in the MLRC
- Administer MLRC finances
- Establish and maintain an accurate and accessible source of online information to support (a) the administrative processes of the department and (b) the activities of faculty and students associated with language teaching and learning.
- Participate in training provided by national organizations as appropriate in order to be current with national best practices in instructional design and technology resources for support of effective language instruction in regular classrooms, the online environment, computer and video labs, and hybrid courses.
- Serve as the faculty internship coordinator for MLL
- Consult with MLL faculty and work with Extended Studies staff to provide non-credit language instruction in the context of community engagement.
35% of Time the Mod Lang Res Ctr, Manager
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Mod Lang Res Ctr, Manager
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Mod Lang Res Ctr, Manager
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.