Job Standard for Nurse Practitioner
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Nurse Practitioner Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75474
- Pay Grade: P12
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Principal
- Family: Health Services
- Function: Nurse Practitioner
The Nurse Practitioner is a trained licensed professional who provides medical care to patients who present to the Boise State University Health Center, including specialized procedures and administrative tasks related to the clinical component of the job.
Recognized master in professional discipline with significant impact and influence on campus policy and program development. Establishes critical strategic and operational goals; develops and implements new products, processes, standards or operational plans to achieve strategies. Regularly leads projects of critical importance to the campus; these projects carry substantial consequences of success or failure. Requires significant influence and communication with executive leadership. Problems faced are frequently complex and multidimensional, requiring broad based consideration of variables that impact multiple areas of the organization.
Advanced Degree and 8 years of professional experience or equivalent relevant experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Leadership, self-confidence and analytical skills
- Excellent communication abilities and interpersonal skills
- Decision-making and problem solving skills and possess a basic knowledge of math and science
- Good knowledge of: general primary care medicine at the level of Nurse Practitioner; human behavior and performance; principles and processes for providing customer and personal services.
- Experience: diagnosing and treating human injuries, diseases, and deformities; psychological research methods; assessing and treating behavioral and affective disorders.
60% of Time the Nurse Practitioner must:
- Maintain a working relationship with university academic and non-academic departments that relate to University Health Services programming, service delivery, and special events across campus.
- Analyze and interpret patients’ histories, symptoms, physical findings, or diagnostic information to develop appropriate diagnoses.
- Prescribe medications based on efficacy, safety, and cost as legally authorized.
- Participate in Medical Services outreach activities which may include service on university committees, health education campaigns, health fairs, and other related duties as required.
35% of Time the Nurse Practitioner
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Nurse Practitioner
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Nurse Practitioner
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.