Job Standard for Office Clerk
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Office Clerk Overview
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 1116
- Pay Grade: D
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Career Level: Level 1
- Family: General Administration
- Function: Administrative Support
Perform basic office support functions; or may be used as a trainee for higher level office support classes; perform related work.
Applies basic skills while developing some specialized skills in procedures, operations, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment appropriate to area of specialization; performs routine and/or repetitive tasks; limited decision making required; generally works under close supervision; has no or limited experience; work is performed from within specific limits of established procedures and/or defined instructions.
Some related education and experience.
Willingness to: do the same tasks day after day; work in a job where the incumbent will be expected to learn office procedures and filing systems; come to work on time and keep scheduled working hours; follow written or oral instructions.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services.
- Ability to effectively provide information to supervisors, co-workers and customers by telephone, in written form, email, or in person.
60% of Time the Office Clerk must:
- Incumbents in this class perform basic office/clerical tasks, which can be easily learned on the job and do not require prior training. Close supervision is provided and little or no discretion or independence of action is allowed in performance of assigned tasks. Work is repetitive in nature and well defined by guidelines and established procedures. Employees may perform uncomplicated filing, mailing activities, basic math skills and operate commonly used office equipment.
35% of Time the Office Clerk
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Office Clerk
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Office Clerk
Office Specialist, Customer Service Representative
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.