Job Standard for Office Services Supervisor 1
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Office Services Supervisor 1 Overview
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 01100
- Pay Grade: I
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Career Level: Supervisor 1
- Family: General Administration
- Function: Administrative Support
To supervise an office support unit; hire, train and evaluate support staff; plan, coordinate, and oversee the day-to-day operations; perform a wide variety of secretarial and/or office administration support functions; perform related work.
Provides immediate supervision to a unit or group of operational or technical employees. A portion of time may be spent performing individual tasks related to the unit; however, supervisory activities must constitute a primary part of the job. Supervises unit operations to ensure compliance with departmental or campus policies, procedures, and defined internal controls. Ensures accountability and stewardship of campus resources (operational, financial, and human) in compliance with departmental standards and procedures.
Good knowledge of: office support functions.
Some knowledge of: supervisory practices.
Experience: interpreting, applying and explaining complex information such as regulations, policies or services; independently solving problems/performing liaison activities to deal with individuals or resolve conflicts in a work setting.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience: supervising staff; performing secretarial functions; supervising staff in a cash-handling environment.
- Experience independently solving problems/performing liaison activities to deal with individuals or resolve conflicts in a work setting.
60% of Time the Office Services Supervisor 1 must:
- Supervising and training staff, coordinating unit work flow and periodically reviewing completed work. This position is considered a program expert and functions as a liaison between management and staff. First line supervisors of support staff in a work unit and are accountable for the work performed. They interview and hire new employees. They prioritize workloads, assign work, and monitor the quality of work for completeness, accuracy of content, and compliance with agency policy. Incumbents evaluate, train, motivate, and direct support staff by developing expectations, objectives, and counseling employees. Handle employee performance issues and resolve employee conflicts; determine training needs and recommend training programs.
- Perform the more complex duties, handling issues that cannot be resolved by staff. Frequent contact with internal and external customers or the public to gather or supply information concerning the work function. Recommend and implement new methods, procedures, or strategies to solve work problems and improve productivity. Assess office needs and make recommendations to office managers regarding equipment, space, and staff requirements.
35% of Time the Office Services Supervisor 1
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Office Services Supervisor 1
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Office Services Supervisor 1
Office Services Supervisor 2, Management Assistant
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.