Job Standard for Office Specialist 1
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Office Specialist 1 Overview
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 01114
- Pay Grade: E
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Career Level: Level 1
- Family: General Administration
- Function: Administrative Support
To perform routine office support duties which require knowledge of office policies and procedures; perform related work.
Applies basic skills while developing some specialized skills in procedures, operations, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment appropriate to area of specialization; performs routine and/or repetitive tasks; limited decision making required; generally works under close supervision; has no or limited experience; work is performed from within specific limits of established procedures and/or defined instructions.
Some knowledge of: filing; basic math.
Experience: checking, proofing, sorting, or coding information or documents.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience: word processing skills; data entry; microfilm experience; willingness to perform postal clerk duties.
- Ability to independently accomplish recurring tasks
60% of Time the Office Specialist 1 must:
- Perform general office support duties using well established guidelines. Perform work requiring knowledge of the organization or program to verify documents for completeness, accuracy, and to determine compliance with department procedures. Utilizing this knowledge they answer routine questions and provide non-technical information to customers or refer customers to appropriate department staff for more in-depth assistance.
- May involve working with automated systems, computer records system maintenance, and/or word processing software.
35% of Time the Office Specialist 1
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Office Specialist 1
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection. Some positions may require candidates to pass an extensive background investigation. The postal work positions will require the incumbent to have a valid driver’s license.
Not applicable for Office Specialist 1
Office Specialist 2, Administrative Assistant 1, Technical Records Specialist 1
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.