Job Standard for OSP Pre-Award, Assistant Director
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
OSP Pre-Award, Assistant Director Overview
- Work Type: Non-Classified/Professional
- Job Code: 75853
- Pay Grade: P13
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Assistant Director
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Research Administration
To develop and implement research development activities at Boise State University in direct support of the research mission of the university.
Manages a large team typically consisting of both experienced professionals and subordinate Managers. Focuses on tactical and operational plans with short to mid-term focus; significant responsibility to achieve broadly stated goals through subordinate Managers. Determines objectives, directs programs, develops strategies and policies, manages human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a high degree of autonomy. Requires broad management and leadership knowledge to lead project or program teams in one department/job family. Proactively assesses risk to establish systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Determines campus strategies for a program with campus wide impact.
Bachelor’s Degree and 7 years experience or equivalent including 3 years of managerial experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Effective time and deadline management skills
- Ability to present and communicate complex solicitation requirements in simplified, easy-to-digest format
- Experience in proposal preparation and writing experience for interdisciplinary proposals submitted to federal government agencies
- Ability to facilitate large group discussions
- Knowledge of federal, state, and university grant programs that support research, instruction and public service across disciplines and their submission processes
- Superior written and verbal communications skills
60% of Time the OSP Pre-Award, Assistant Director must:
- Initiate and coordinate development and submission of large, multidisciplinary, transdisciplinary, institution-wide or collaborative grant proposals to a wide range of funding agencies and organizations
- Coordinate training and education programs related to highest quality proposal development.
- Develop and maintain connections with funding agencies and potential partners
- Newsletter, calendar of recurring solicitations, upcoming solicitations
- Regularly assess and refine research development goals, strategies and methods.
- Develop working relationships with research development personnel at other universities via participation in national organizations such as National Organization of Research Development Professionals or similar professional organizations.
- Supervise, coach and mentor staff, complete performance evaluations, distribute workload
- Coordinate the flow of information among collaborators and their respective departments to ensure consistent and effective communication
35% of Time the OSP Pre-Award, Assistant Director
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the OSP Pre-Award, Assistant Director
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and requiring wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for OSP Pre-Award, Assistant Director.
Incumbents must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.