Job Standard for Painter
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click ‘”View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 06556
- Pay Grade: G
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Career Level: Level 2
- Family: Campus Planning & Facilities
- Function: Facilities Maintenance
To perform journeyman-level surface preparation and application of paints, stains, and related products on buildings, furniture, floors, and similar surfaces; perform related work.
Applies skills and job knowledge in area of specialization; may adapt procedures, operations, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment to meet needs of area of specialization; may work on non-routine tasks; resolves issues/makes working decisions within area of specialization or responsibility with minimal supervision.
Good knowledge of: painting safety techniques.
Experience: applying paint, stain, varnish, and similar products; determining suitable paint and stain products to use in various applications; preparing surfaces to apply painting products; using and maintaining tools and equipment associated with painting; mixing, matching, and color coordinating paints and stains.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of buildings and other structures.
- Ability to manage one’s own time and the time of others.
60% of Time the Painter must:
- Meets with individuals to define job to be accomplished; selects appropriate products to accomplish job; ensures surface is properly prepared; repairs and textures walls and similar surfaces; protects adjacent areas before painting; mixes paints; selects primer and application method; uses power sprayers, rollers, brushes, and other equipment for applying paints and stains; checks work and corrects irregularities; hangs wallpaper; stripes parking lots, football fields, and gym floors; removes debris from work site and performs general clean-up.
- Selects and maintains tools and equipment for jobs; stores paints and stains and inventories for future use; completes work orders and logs; reviews catalog and product bulletins for changes in equipment, tools, and supplies.
- Trains others in applying paint products and using related equipment; assists other maintenance and crafts personnel performing their duties; responds to emergency call-backs.
35% of Time the Painter
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Painter
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
This position involves lifting and carrying items weighing approximately 90 pounds, working on scaffolding, climbing ladders, bending and stooping. Some positions require a valid driver’s license.
Not applicable for Painter
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.