Job Standard for Parking, Transportation and Safety, Assistant Director
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Parking, Transportation & Safety, Assistant Director Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75132
- Pay Grade: P9
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Assistant Director
- Family: Campus Planning & Facilities
- Function: Parking & Transportation
This position is responsible for the management and administration of multiple units within the transportation, parking and safety system departments. This position supervises the employees, supervisors, and managers that oversee these functions. As a key member of the management team, this position will serve on various cross-functional assignments.
Manages a team typically consisting of both experienced professionals and subordinate Managers. Focuses on tactical and operational plans with short to mid term focus; significant responsibility to achieve broadly stated goals through subordinate Managers. Determines objectives, directs programs, develops strategies and policies, manages human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a high degree of autonomy. Requires broad management and leadership knowledge to lead a project or program teams in one dept/job family. Proactively assesses risk to establish systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Determines campus strategies for a program with campus wide impact.
Bachelor’s Degree and 7 years experience including 3 years managerial experience. This position is identified as a “Campus Security Authority (CSA)” per the federal law known as the Clery Act. Per this law, the employee is required to report any crimes that he/she becomes aware of to the Clery Compliance Officer.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Attention to detail, relationship management skills.
- Understanding of database administration and systems.
- Demonstrated fiscal responsibility and ability to oversee multiple budgets
- Strong conflict management skills and the ability to de-escalate confrontation
- Exemplary customer service skills with the ability to communicate with a wide variety of customers, colleagues, and personnel
60% of Time the Parking, Transportation & Safety, Assistant Director
- Responsible for hiring, discipline, and termination of administrative personnel. Ensures customer service for the entire department and campus community.
- Provides leadership and management of the team.
- Manages employee scheduling, work assignments, communication, and personnel development. Evaluates employee performance, gives regular feedback,
and conducts annual performance reviews.
- Ensure that assigned staff and their subordinates are properly trained to conduct their work in a safe, efficient and effective manner. Ensure compliance with university and position specific training requirements.
- Direct and manage various public safety systems
- Oversee the design and maintenance of the Public Safety web presence.
35% of Time the Parking, Transportation & Safety, Assistant Director
Determined by department needs
5% of Time theParking, Transportation & Safety, Assistant Director
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and requiring wearing hearing protection.
Some travel may be required
Parking, Transportation & Safety, Director
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business needs, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbents must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.