Job Standard for Parking, Transportation and Safety, Director
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Parking, Transportation & Safety, Director Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75578
- Pay Grade: P11
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Director
- Family:Campus Planning & Facilities
- Function: Parking & Transportation
The Director of Transportation & Parking is responsible for providing leadership, planning and administration of an active transportation, parking fleet motor pool, and shuttle program. This position directs, monitors, and evaluates specific functions and services of the Department of Public Safety. This position is involved with community transportation leaders, campus representatives, and students on strategic transportation and parking initiatives on active transportation, mobility, and parking infrastructure.
Oversees through subordinate Managers a large, complex organization with multiple functional disciplines/occupations, OR manages a program, regardless of size, that has critical impact upon the campus. Significant responsibility for formulating and administering policies and programs, manages significant human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a very high degree of autonomy. Frequently influences business decisions made by senior leadership. Oversees through subordinate Managers the accountability and stewardship of campus resources and the development of systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Negotiates and influences others to understand and accept new concepts, practices and approaches.
Bachelor’s Degree and 8 years experience or equivalent including 5 years managerial experience. Campus Security Authority: This position is identified as a “Campus Security Authority (CSA)” per the federal law known as the Clery Act. Per this law, the employee is required to report any crimes that he/she becomes aware of to the Clery Compliance Officer. Additionally, CSAs are required to complete annual training prescribed by the Clery Compliance Officer.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong Leadership and management skills
- Ability to organize processes and people
- Analytical skills
- Ability to manage conflict and experience in dispute resolution.
- Experience in human resources, communications, or customer relations
- Experience in developing and presenting reports.
- Experience developing record management processes and programs
60% of Time the Parking, Transportation & Safety, Director
- Includes the hiring, discipline, and termination of personnel.
- Manages workflow and productivity of personnel to ensure that the needs of the department and campus community are met.
- Monitors work activities to ensure compliance with policies and procedures.
- Engages in departmental problem-solving for organizational issues; makes recommendations for efficiencies and advancement.
- Ensures customer service for the entire department and campus community.
- Plans and coordinates a variety of special administrative projects and assignments.
- Represents the department and the division in select working groups, committees, and partnerships, both internal and external to the University.
- Exercises discretion when dealing with confidential matters and information.
- Actively pursue and fully execute transportation grants to enhance the alternative transportation options on campus.
35% of Time the Parking, Transportation & Safety, Director
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Parking, Transportation & Safety, Director
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Some travel for Parking, Transportation & Safety, Director
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.