Job Standard for Post Doctoral Research Fellow
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Postdoctoral Research Fellow Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 44705
- Pay Grade: P6
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Intermediate
- Family: Research & Laboratory
- Function: Research
Serves in a temporary position that enables an individual with their Ph.D. to continue their training as a researcher and gain skills and experience that will prepare them for their research career in academia or elsewhere. As a postdoc, the position can perform mostly independent research, collaborate on a multi-scholar research initiative, or even may have lead responsibility for discrete components of a larger research project or program, all while under the general direction of a senior or principal researcher.
After earning a Ph.D., the next step in the academic or research career path is often a postdoc. A postdoc is a continuation of a researcher’s training that enables them to further their professional development and start to transition from student to independent researcher. Postdocs also often take additional leadership or teaching responsibilities in their laboratory or department. These positions are usually two to three years and it is not unusual for a researcher to do more than one postdoc.
Requires a minimum of a Ph.D. or equivalent terminal degree in a relevant discipline.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- The selected candidate must be able to meet eligibility requirements for work in the United States at the time the appointment is scheduled to begin and to continue working legally for the proposed term of the appointment.
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills.
- Scientific writing skills demonstrated through peer-reviewed publications
- Ability to acquire accurate, reproducible data
- Critical eye towards consistency, reproducibility, and the scientific method in general
- Excellent project and time management skills
- Strong interpersonal and mentoring skills
- Advocate for safety and ethics in the workplace
Determined by department needs
35% of Time the Postdoctoral Research Fellow may:
- Problem solve research challenges and model development, as applicable.
- Contribute discrete components of a larger project under the general direction of a senior or principal researcher.
- Prepare complete documentation of research activities for reference purposes, including following applicable data management protocols.
- Analyze, interpret, and document research findings for review.
- Compare actual and expected results and suggest solutions to correct the deviations.
- Evaluate existing research or modeling techniques and recommend improvements to ensure quality and productivity.
- Assist in the preparation of proposals and reports.
- Assist in teaching classes.
60% of Time the Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Sample Text: Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Sample Text: Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
To be completed by department
May be required to travel with overnight stays.
The postdoc is primarily a training position. The intent is for the postdoc to gain additional research, professional, and in some cases teaching experience to facilitate future transition to a research or academic career.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.