Job Standard for Print Shop Business Assistant
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Print Shop Business Assistant Overview
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 01402
- Pay Grade: I
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Career Level: Supervisor 1
- Family: Communications & Marketing
- Function: Publications & Graphics
To function as print shop business manager and maintain inventory, purchasing, accounting and billing systems; consult with and advise clients and vendors on printing needs and available services; perform related work.
Provides immediate supervision to a unit or group of operational or technical employees. A portion of time may be spent performing individual tasks related to the unit; however, supervisory activities must constitute a primary part of the job. Supervises unit operations to ensure compliance with departmental or campus policies, procedures, and defined internal controls. Ensures accountability and stewardship of campus resources (operational, financial, and human) in compliance with departmental standards and procedures.
Good knowledge of: print shop operation; printing cost estimation; cash flow and profit margins required for print shop solvency; computerized inventory methods; bookkeeping methods.
Experience: supervising staff; preparing and maintaining financial reports and billings.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation and coordination of people and resources
- Ability to monitor and review information from materials, events, or the environment, to detect or assess problems
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services
60% of Time the Print Shop Business Assistant must:
- Processes invoices to update and maintain computerized inventory records for print shop items; arranges for and coordinates inventory; organizes physical inventory; identifies problems and errors and reconciles inventory records with physical count; prepares specifications and solicits bids; receives, calculates and awards bids; maintains accounting system for cost reimbursement and oversees preparation of billings; reviews and processes accounts payable; checks for incorrect information, and errors in coding and estimated costs; establishes data collection; prepares inventory, fiscal and status reports; drafts correspondence and technical reports; may assist in planning and implementing goals and policies and establishing price structure to recover press.
- Confers with clients to determine needs and priorities; answers questions as to work in progress, price estimates, and completion schedules; resolves complaints concerning services; provides clients with bids and estimated costs for projects; confers with vendors on bids and needed services; may serve as representative to promote and market printing services to potential users.
- Supervises and trains clerical employees and evaluates performance; schedules and organizes work; may monitor installation and operation of photocopy control system.
35% of Time the Print Shop Business Assistant
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Print Shop Business Assistant
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Print Shop Business Assistant
Business Manager, other professional positions
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.