Job Standard for Process Improvement, Assistant Director
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Process Improvement, Assistant Director Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75643
- Pay Grade: P11
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Assistant Director
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Business Process & Improvement
Manage a team of Process Improvement Analysts that focus on the wider impacts of change through a structured approach intended to ensure changes are thoroughly and smoothly implemented and that the lasting efficiencies and advantages of the change are achieved through strategies of facilitation, engagement, project management, business process improvement and communication.
Manages a large team typically consisting of both experienced professionals and subordinate Managers. Focuses on tactical and operational plans with short to mid term focus; significant responsibility to achieve broadly stated goals through subordinate Managers. Determines objectives, directs programs, develops strategies and policies, manages human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a high degree of autonomy. Requires broad management and leadership knowledge to lead project or program teams in one dept/job family. Proactively assesses risk to establish systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Determines campus strategies for a program with campus wide impact.
Bachelor’s degree and 7 years experience or equivalent progressive professional experience including 3 years managerial experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Facilitation, change management,process improvement, project management are the key competencies for this position
- Demonstrative use/operation of Excel, Word, and Google Apps
- Knowledge and understanding of relational database systems and SQL tools
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written), interpersonal and organizational skills are essential
- Excellent time management skills
- Demonstrative knowledge/operation of ERP systems
- Excellent problem solving skills with the ability to anticipate and provide solutions that result in gained efficiencies, improved customer service, and more efficient business processes.
- Detail oriented and demonstrate the ability to take ownership and complete assigned tasks
- Ability to maintain a professional attitude amidst difficult and stressful times and demonstrate a sense of ethics while performing daily tasks.
- Broad strategic thinker, with a clear vision and direction of world class change management
- Works well in a team environment
- Ability to manage and mentor a team, using supervisory best practices
- Strong interpersonal capabilities and ability to work cross-functionally with other leaders on sensitive and/or emotional issues
60% of Time the Process Improvement, Assistant Director must:
- Provide supervision of process improvement analyst positions. Hire, train, direct, mentor and motivate staff in daily work and on projects and complete annual evaluations. Ensure ongoing training and cross training, development and growth of staff by providing learning opportunities. Supervise via a matrix management model set and manage expectations, as appropriate.
- Identify, plan and implement key projects to improve quality, reduce costs, increase productivity and improve cycle time by reducing wasted time, rework, etc. resulting in significant business improvement and customer satisfaction.
- Plan a facilitation effort based on the objectives of the meeting and/or project and the audience. Determine the audience that is appropriate for inclusion in the conversation. Employ a suite of sophisticated facilitation tactics including but not limited to deliverables, agendas, parking lots, exercises, etc. to ensure the audience stays on task and meets the deliverables of the discussion.
- Utilize change management strategies to focus on the people side of project adoption. Employ approaches that help transition individuals to a future state.
- Ensure accuracy of the information provided and transparency is maintained. Create ownership by involving people in crafting solutions and ensuring tools are available for ownership to be maintained going forward.
- Assess the cultural landscape and adapt change management strategies as appropriate to meet the objectives.
- Manage process improvement projects including gathering project requests from end users, utilizing reporting to identify projects, ensure projects are prioritized according to agreed upon methodologies, assign projects to Process Improvement Analysts
35% of Time the Process Improvement, Assistant Director
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Process Improvement, Assistant Director
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Process Improvement, Assistant Director
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.