Job Standard for Procurement Manager
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Procurement Manager Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75251
- Pay Grade: P8
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Manager
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Purchasing
The Procurement Operations Manager will be responsible for purchasing operations to include oversight of all procurement functions performed by the general buying team. The position will be tasked with ensuring that purchasing operations and purchasing staff are working in a manner that is effective, efficient and that work is performed in accordance with all applicable laws, policies and regulations.
Provides direct supervision typically to professionals or skilled technical employees at the entry or intermediate level. Functions as advisor to unit and administration and sets goals and objectives for team members for achievement of operational results. Analyzes and resolves problems through drawing from prior experiences. Interprets policies (e.g., fiscal management, HR, contracts and grants, resource management in defined areas) and demonstrates solid subject matter knowledge. Exercises judgment within defined procedures and policies to determine appropriate action. Supervises staff to assure accountability and stewardship of campus resources (operational, financial, and human) in compliance with departmental goals and objectives.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent plus 2 years experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Works with a high degree of independence, discretion and judgment.
- Develops and models teamwork and positive relationships between supervised staff and the rest of the organization.
- Maintains poise when dealing with people in difficult situations; exercises tact and diplomacy.
- Enhances the skills and performance of others in order to achieve organizational goals through systematically providing clear objectives, performance specific feedback, effective coaching and developmental experience/opportunities.
- Implements and supports effective change in order to enhance organizational performance by continuously identifying and acting on opportunities to create high quality, cost-effective processes.
- Presents ideas and information in a concise, timely, effective and interpersonally appropriate manner through written and oral forms to all levels of campus.
60% of Time the Procurement Manager must:
- Business Processes: analyze/improve/develop/implement
- Recommend and implement modifications to programs, policies and procedures.
- Oversee and direct surplus property declaration and sale processes.
- Manage buying team executing day to day buying, including sponsored projects
- purchasing and solicitations
- Oversee and audit workload of buying team to assure compliance with all Boise State policies and procedures and other regulations, as applicable.
- Coordinate and engage campus stakeholders to ensure their Purchasing needs are being met.
35% of Time the Procurement Manager
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Procurement Manager
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and requiring wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Procurement Manager
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbents must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.