Job Standard for Programmer Analyst 3
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#.
Programmer Analyst 3 Overview
- Work Type: Non-Classified/Professional
- Job Code: 75724
- Pay Grade: P10
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Family: Information Technology
- Function: Applications Development
Responsible for providing technical professional programming work to design, maintain and support enterprise resource planning (ERP) applications for the Office of Information Technology at an intermediate level.
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of area typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices and procedures.
Bachelor’s or Advanced Degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Information Technology or a related field and 5 years of professional experience or equivalent relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
- Experience working with relational database technology.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and to write complex SQL statements.
- Proficiency in using PeopleSoft Tools (Application Designer, Application Engine, Process Scheduler, PeopleCode, XML Publisher and SQR)
- Knowledge of or experience with PeopleSoft Integration Broker and Oracle SQL.
- Proficiency with one or more procedural and/or object oriented programming languages.
- Knowledge of and interest in, one or more object oriented programming languages.
- Ability to contribute to technical conversations and collaborate effectively with technical and non-technical staff members.
- Demonstrated successful performance with coordinating and completing multiple tasks to meet aggressive and changing deadlines
- Experience with user interface design and knowledge of usability best practices.
- Skill in troubleshooting technical issues and in the use of troubleshooting and trace tools.
- Knowledge of or experience in a related role requiring confidentiality, timeliness, customer service, organization, prioritization and working independently to successfully support, maintain and enhance PeopleSoft enterprise applications.
- May require on-call availability and may require working outside of business hours and weekends.
60% of Time the Programmer Analyst 3 must:
- Comprehends and distills issues, identifies problem factors, determines appropriate information, checks assumptions against facts and generates solutions.
- Collaborates with team members and other staff to develop, design, implement and continuously improve services and deliverables to meet business needs.
Production Support and Maintenance
- Investigates, gathers information, analyzes and researches to get beyond symptoms to expose the cause of each reported incident/problem. Resolves incidents/problems by making changes to enterprise software and/or writing SQL scripts to repair data in the database to resolve incidents/problems using standards and best practices. Incidents generally range from moderate to high complexity and may be without precedent.
- Contacts and works with software vendor(s) to resolve issues with delivered software. Follow-up with vendor(s) and escalate support requests as necessary.
- Supports maintenance efforts by reapplying impacted customizations during maintenance projects. Researches vendor provided modules, enhancements, updates, fixes and upgrades and determines impacts. Researches and applies vendor best practices and standards.
- Assists and coaches junior staff in troubleshooting and resolving production support incidents/problems.
Software Development and Service Improvement
- Translates requirements into a technical design and programmatic solutions which are testable and easily maintained and which follow established standards and methodologies. Consults with other more senior staff and users in design of solutions.
- Studies and develops an understanding of affected applications and determines logic for solutions depending on application, business rules, integrations and variables.
- Writes new and/or modifies existing ERP software programs, objects and reports including unit testing, coding, migration instructions and technical documentation (including entity relationship diagrams and program structure diagrams), for use with multi-application, multi-user database systems.
- Performs impact analysis of proposed ERP software customization’s, which includes reading through the software program code to determine the feasibility and impact of the customization.
Development of Self and Others
- Stays current with relevant advances in technologies via on-the-job training, attending technical courses or conferences, reading, research, etc.
- Participates in growth opportunities, takes initiative for continuous development and improvement.
- Facilitate peer review of own work and participate in peer reviews of team members
Project Management and Reporting
- Follows project plans; records and tracks progress of project tasks, features and improvements. Reports status in a timely manner.
- Provides estimates for tasks based on experience and team standards. Provides status reports, exchanges relevant information with management and project teams and meets timelines. Notifies management of potential risks and issues.
- Effectively utilizes leadership, analytical and creative problem solving skills, interpersonal and communication skills, along with standard processes and methodologies, as evident by successful support and implementation of projects (including upgrades) resulting in project completion that meets requirements and quality expectations and that meets estimates.
35% of Time the Programmer Analyst 3
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Programmer Analyst 3
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
General Office – Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally (Occasionally: activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of the time) and/or a negligible amount of force frequently (Frequently: activity or condition exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time) to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body. General office work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.
On-Call – Requires on-call availability and may require working during non-business hours and on weekends.
May be required to travel with overnight stays for training.
Programmer Analyst 4.
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.