Job Standard for Programmer Analyst 4
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#.
Programmer Analyst 4 Overview
- Work Type: Non-Classified/Professional
- Job Code: 75725
- Pay Grade: P12
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Principal
- Family: Information Technology
- Function: Development
Responsible for providing technical professional programming work to design, maintain and support enterprise resource planning (ERP) applications for the Office of Information Technology at a senior level and sets and maintains standards and procedures.
Recognized master in professional discipline with significant impact and influence on campus policy and program development. Establishes critical strategic and operational goals; develops and implements new products, processes, standards or operational plans to achieve strategies. Regularly leads projects of critical importance to the campus; these projects carry substantial consequences of success or failure. Requires significant influence and communication with executive leadership. Problems faced are frequently complex and multidimensional, requiring broad based consideration of variables that impact multiple areas of the organization.
Bachelor’s or Advanced Degree and 10 years of professional experience or equivalent relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Minimum of 10 years demonstrated experience in a related role requiring confidentiality, timeliness, customer service, organization, prioritization and working independently to successfully support, maintain and enhance PeopleSoft enterprise applications.
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
- Experience working with relational database technology. Experience with Oracle SQL.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and to write complex SQL statements.
- Knowledge of or experience with HTML, XML, SOAP and REST-based messaging.
- Proficiency with one or more procedural and/or object oriented programming languages.
- Demonstrated successful performance with coordinating and completing multiple tasks to meet aggressive and changing deadlines.
- Knowledge of systems development life cycle (SDLC), including waterfall and iterative approaches.
- Excellent organizational and communications and interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to serve as technical lead on small to moderate size projects.
- Proficient with user interface design and knowledge of usability best practices.
- Senior ERP Developers are required to have advanced knowledge and experience with ERP software and be an expert in using multiple development tools within a specific ERP product.
60% of Time the Programmer Analyst 4 must:
Perform Key Responsibilities
- Use ERP software development tools to support, maintain and enhance ERP software and to write SQL to query and update data in the database.
- Serves as technical project lead on large projects. Delegates tasks to staff based on experience and skill levels. Performs limited project management, such as delegating technical tasks and reviewing estimates from more junior staff.
- This position generally works independently, requiring limited direction from more senior staff and/or management. Mentors more junior staff in principles, practices, standards and procedures. Reviews work of more junior staff and recommends revision and improvements. Recommends training plans.
- Sets and maintains standards, developer security documentation and change management procedures for enterprise applications.
- Demonstrates proficient knowledge of principles, practices, standards and procedures. Relies on established procedures, standards and professional judgment to plan and accomplish tasks. Makes independent decisions that impact operations. Comprehends and distills issues, identifies problem factors, determines appropriate information, checks assumptions against facts and generates solutions. Demonstrates relationship building, effective communication skills and quality service in the process of collaborating with, supporting, advising and educating clients, team members and other University departments. Effectively manages relationships. Takes responsibility for work. Resolves problems and seeks assistance only after their own attempts have failed.
Production Support and Maintenance
- Provides incident/problem resolution and on-call support for enterprise applications during and outside of business hours and weekends.
- Demonstrates quality service and accountability in the process of resolving incidents, requests, fixes resulting in accurate, timely and efficient solutions and data as evidenced by meeting customer needs and by meeting or exceeding established performance metrics and task estimates.
- Contacts and works with software vendor(s) to resolve issues with delivered software. Follow-up with vendor(s) and escalate support requests as necessary.
- Supports maintenance efforts by reapplying impacted customizations during maintenance projects. Researches vendor provided modules, enhancements, updates, fixes and upgrades and determines impacts. Researches and applies vendor best practices and standards.
- Assignments include but are not limited to development, support, maintenance, configuration, customization, troubleshooting, upgrades, integration and maintenance of systems.
- Assists and coaches junior staff in troubleshooting and resolving production support incidents/problems.
- Collaborates with users, customers, business analysts and other technical staff to review software requirements and functional specifications, delineating the gaps between customer requirements and the capabilities of existing technology and resources and recommending designs that are user-friendly and compliant with technical requirements. Proactively recommends improvements to requested features and functionality.
- Translates requirements into a technical design and a programmatic solution following established standards, methodology and development tools. Anticipates requirements that are not stated.
- Writes new and/or modifies existing ERP software programs, objects and reports including unit testing, coding, migration instructions and technical documentation (including entity relationship diagrams and program structure diagrams), for use with multi-application, multi-user database systems.
- Perform impact analysis of proposed ERP software customization’s, which includes reading through the software program code to determine the feasibility and impact of the customization’s.
Maintain development standards, developer security documentation, enterprise application change control information and other required for audit compliance
- Maintain standards for enterprise development. Set and revise standards by collaborating with other staff.
- Review developer security requests for completeness and appropriateness and maintain developer security documentation. Refer non routine requests to management.
- Maintain developer procedures and templates for change management system. Recommend configuration changes for implementation.
- Maintain internal website for technical standards and documentation for Development team.
Development of Self and Others
- Stays current with relevant advances in technologies via on-the-job training, attending technical courses or conferences, reading, research and testing.
- Mentors other staff.
- Participates in growth opportunities, takes initiative for continuous development and improvement.
- Facilitate peer review of own work and participate in peer reviews of team members.
- Demonstrates skill development by applying new skills/knowledge to the job as evident by the ability to efficiently and effectively perform assigned duties, resulting in meeting or exceeding performance metrics.
- Serve as technical project lead on large projects. Delegates tasks to staff based on experience and skill levels. Performs limited project management, such as delegating technical tasks and reviewing estimates from more junior staff.
- Effectively utilizes leadership, analytical and creative problem solving skills, interpersonal and communication skills, along with standard processes and methodologies, as evident by successful support and implementation of projects (including upgrades) resulting in project completion that meets requirements and quality expectations and is on time.
35% of Time the Programmer Analyst 4
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Programmer Analyst 4
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
General Office – Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally (Occasionally: activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of the time) and/or a negligible amount of force frequently (Frequently: activity or condition exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time) to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body. General office work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.
Punctual, regular and consistent attendance is required.
On-Call – Requires on-call availability and may require working during non-business hours and on weekends.
May be required to travel with overnight stays for training.
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.