Job Standard for Project Manager 2
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Project Manager 2 Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code:75739
- Pay Grade: P9
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Family: Information Technology
- Function: Project Management
This position is responsible for administering the project management lifecycle for projects including, but not limited, software implementation and upgrades, process improvement, and physical/network infrastructure. This position has overall responsibility for the successful initiation, planning, design, execution, monitoring, controlling, and closure of a project.
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of area typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices and procedures.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent plus 5 years relevant experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge and understanding of ERP concepts and functions.
- Knowledge and/or experience in business process design and reengineering.
- Knowledge and/or experience in evaluation of software to meet business needs.
- Excellent communications skills (oral and written), interpersonal, and organizational skills are required
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Ability to present and explain complex technical topics, problems, alternative solutions to others.
- Solid understanding of software development life cycle.
- Solid understanding of project management principles and governance
- Knowledge of SQL.
- Experience with web applications, data warehousing, and Oracle Databases.
60 % of Time Project Manager 2 will:
- Works with single or groups of stakeholders to understand current processes and gather new requirements using a variety of techniques such as brainstorming sessions, and structured process walk through sessions.
- Researches vendors, software products, existing/comparable policy, and/or viable process options to determine best solution fits based on business requirements and alignment with University architecture.
- Develops the critical path schedule which shows the sequence of events compatible with work breakdown structure.
- Identifies resource requirements and facilitates staff assignments with input from department leadership.
- Identifies and clarifies requirements using basic conceptual and logical process/data modeling techniques such as business process flow charts, data flows, or workflows.
- Explains the project or future state process and outcomes to stakeholders to ensure buy-in, confidence in, and viability of developed solutions.
- Documents overall design and architecture of physical and virtual systems.
- Demonstrates familiarity from the end user perspective with the processes, user interfaces, policies, administrative and security aspects of the developed solution.
- Maintains project schedule, incorporating regular updates from each functional team involved.
- Identifies specific steps of a process that issues occur in and can describe the business need or requirement that describes how the issue may be resolved.
- Provides training support to staff.
- Designs user acceptance test plans and test cases.
- Assists in monitoring costs and analyzing data.
- Assists with communication plans.
- Assists in creating cutover checklists for product deployment.
35% of Time Project Manager 2:
Can be determined by department needs
5% of Time Project Manager 2:
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.