Job Standard for Registered Nurse
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Registered Nurse Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75363
- Pay Grade: P8
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Intermediate
- Family: Health Services
- Function: Nursing
Assess patient health problems and needs, develop and implement nursing care plans and maintain medical records. Administer nursing care to ill, injured, convalescent, or disabled patients. May advise patients on health maintenance and disease prevention or provide case management.
Fully competent and productive professional contributor who applies acquired job skills, policies, and procedures to complete substantive assignments/projects/tasks of moderate scope and complexity. Works independently with general supervision; exercises judgment within defined guidelines and practices to determine appropriate action. May provide guidance and assistance to entry level professionals and/or support employees.
Bachelor’s Degree and 2 years of professional experience or equivalent relevant experience .
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders
- Ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand
- Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do
- Ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong
- Good knowledge of: the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. Principles and processes for providing customer and personal services.
- Experience: talking to others to convey information effectively; adjusting actions in relation to others’ actions; actively looking for ways to help people
60% of Time the Registered Nurse must:
- Maintain accurate, detailed reports and records
- Administer medications to patients and monitor patients for reactions or side effects
- Consult and coordinate with healthcare team members to assess, plan, implement, or evaluate patient care plans.
- Provide personal assistance, medical attention, emotional support, or other personal care to others.
- Observing, receiving, and otherwise obtaining information from all relevant sources.
35% of Time the Registered Nurse
Can be determined by department needs
5% of Time the Registered Nurse
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Registered Nurse
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.