Job Standard for Research Administration Business Manager
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Research Administration Business Manager Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75502
- Pay Grade: P8
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Research Administration
This position is responsible for managing and improving all internal business operations, oversee employee activity and ensure a department is on track to meet its financial goals. Develop annual scope of work and manage progress throughout the year. Takes on special projects and coordinates completion.
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of area typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices and procedures.
Bachelor’s or Advanced Degree and 5 years of professional experience or equivalent relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Supervisory experience and strong leadership skills
- Strong knowledge of project development and management
- Ability to efficiently follow and implement policies and procedures
- Experience researching and analyzing financial and other reports and compiling information
60% of Time the Research Administration Business Manager must:
- Grant, contract and entrepreneurial activity coordination and compliance responsibilities. Ensures all project expenses are in compliance with sponsor guidelines and University policies.
- Directs the reporting functions of the unit. May serve as the lead for special projects as assigned. Establishes and maintains internal policies and procedures for administrative activities. Implements work plans and initiatives.
- Creates and manages budget projections, analyzing revenue and expenditures and other funds. Oversees the management and coordination of all fiscal reporting activities.
- Collaborates with staff and faculty and other administrative units to identify opportunities and develop solutions to problems and issues.
- Frequently handles sensitive and/or confidential issues.
- May supervise and direct the work of others
- Research and analyze data for accuracy, trends, and variances to ensure acceptable business practices, procedures and compliance have been followed.
35% of Time the Research Administration Business Manager
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Research Administration Business Manager
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Research Administration Business Manager
Senior Business Manager
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.