Job Standard for Sponsored Project Administrator
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Sponsored Project Administrator Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75450
- Pay Grade: P6
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Intermediate
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Research Administration
Provide fiscal oversight and sponsored project administration services for principal investigators and departmental and college staff who have externally-funded projects.
Fully competent and productive professional contributor who applies acquired job skills, policies, and procedures to complete substantive assignments/projects/tasks of moderate scope and complexity. Works independently with general supervision; exercises judgment within defined guidelines and practices to determine appropriate action. May provide guidance and assistance to entry level professionals and/or support employees.
Bachelor’s Degree and 2 years relevant experience or equivalent professional experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Knowledge and experience with generally accepted accounting principles and familiarity with accounting systems.
- Ability to read and understand contract language relative to fiscal administration of sponsored projects.
- Ability to interpret and apply federal, state and University regulations.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
60% of Time the Sponsored Projects Administrator must:
- Provide fiscal management services to faculty and staff and collaborate with key personnel to ensure comprehensive oversight of moderately complex sponsored projects.
- Analyze costs for compliance with federal cost principles and reconcile the University’s financial ledger with sponsored project budgets and expenditures.
- Review and understand award terms and conditions, including cost sharing requirements; review and analyze expenditures for compliance.
- Follow up with the principal investigator/department and/or college personnel to gain additional information and documentation as needed.
- Collaboratively work with stakeholders to identify areas needing improvement and present possible solutions.
35% of Time the Sponsored Projects Administrator
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Sponsored Projects Administrator
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Sponsored Project Administrator
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business needs, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.