Job Standard for Research Assistant
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Research Assistant Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75324
- Pay Grade: P4
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Associate
- Family: Research & Laboratory
- Function: Research & Lab Support
Supports the execution of certain aspects of a research project (after the research design is established), with proper training and continued oversight.
Entry-level professional with limited or no prior experience to contribute on a project or work team. Incumbent learns to use professional concepts to resolve problems of limited scope and complexity under close supervision while achieving day-to-day objectives. Works on developmental assignments that are initially routine in nature, requiring limited judgment and decision making. This level is typically focused on self-development. Requires basic, discipline-relevant theoretical knowledge obtained through specific education and training.
Requires a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree or Associate’s Degree with at least two years relevant professional experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Basic knowledge of scientific principles and research protocols, including analysis and collection of samples
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to perform field or laboratory work, as applicable to the position
- Ability to learn new skills with an appropriate amount of training
Determined by department needs
35% of Time the Research Assistant may:
- Mentor students with field and laboratory work, as applicable
- Assist with field or laboratory collection of samples
- Assist in the preparation of proposals and reports
- Support the execution of certain aspects of a research project with oversight.
- Assist in teaching classes
60% of Time the Research Assistant
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Research Assistant
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
To be completed by department
May be required to travel with overnight stays.
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business needs, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.