Job Standard for Research Associate
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Research Associate Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75300
- Pay Grade: P6
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Intermediate
- Family: Research & Laboratory
- Function: Research & Lab Support
Independently performs components of a research project or program as directed by a senior member of the research team. A Research Associate may be involved in designing certain aspects of research projects and independently conducts work complementary to the overall research objectives.
Fully competent and productive professional contributor who applies acquired job skills, policies, and procedures to complete substantive assignments/projects/tasks of moderate scope and complexity. Works independently with general supervision. Exercises judgment within defined guidelines and practices to determine appropriate action. May provide guidance, assistance, and training to entry-level professionals, support employees, and students.
Requires a minimum of a Master’s or equivalent degree in a relevant discipline, or Bachelor’s or equivalent degree, plus at least 2 years of post-Bachelor’s work experience in a role that is similar to that of a Research Assistant.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Working knowledge of scientific principles, research design, and research protocols, including analysis and collection of samples
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to perform field or laboratory work, as applicable to the position
- Ability to learn new skills with an appropriate amount of training
- Ability to develop working relationships with research partners and vendors
- Experience with conducting outreach
Determined by department needs
35% of Time the Research Associate may:
- Collect, analyze, and report data
- Coordinate with research partners and vendors
- Assist dissemination of project results through policy briefs, white papers, reports, conferences, and peer-reviewed publications
- Maintain instrumentation, as applicable, related to field or laboratory research
- Provide technical support to researchers
- May be involved in designing certain aspects of research projects. Independently conducts work complementary to the overall research objectives.
- Train and mentor others in the use of research-related protocols, models, and instrumentation
60% of Time the Research Associate
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Research Associate
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
To be completed by department
May be required to travel with overnight stays.
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.