Job Standard for Research Compliance, Director
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Research Compliance, Director Overview
- Work Type: Non-Classified/Professional
- Job Code: 75310
- Pay Grade: P13
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Director
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Research Administration
Responsible for ensuring university-affiliated activities are in compliance with applicable federal, state, sponsor, and university policies in the areas of human subjects, animal care and use, animal facility operations, biosafety, drone use in research, research misconduct, and the responsible conduct of research.
Oversees through subordinate Managers a large, complex organization with multiple functional disciplines/occupations, OR manages a program, regardless of size, that has critical impact upon the campus. Significant responsibility for formulating and administering policies and programs, manages significant human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a very high degree of autonomy. Frequently influences business decisions made by senior leadership. Oversees through subordinate Managers the accountability and stewardship of campus resources and the development of systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Negotiates and influences others to understand and accept new concepts, practices and approaches. Reports to an Associate Vice President, Vice President, or Dean.
Bachelor’s Degree and 8 years experience or equivalent
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Attention to detail and accuracy skills
- Ability to provide judgment in interpreting complex regulations regarding research activity.
- Experience with research support in higher education
- Knowledge of government and sponsor regulations and requirements for research compliance
60% of Time the Research Compliance, Director must:
- Oversee policy and programs, registrations/assurances, training, and reporting requirements
- Act as a liaison for, university faculty, staff, administrators, and legal counsel to interpret and resolve research compliance issues.
- Provide daily management and oversight for activities under the Office of Research Compliance.
- Develop and manage the unit’s budget.
- Act as a representative for the VP for Research to coordinate with institutional units regarding research compliance program responsibilities and obligations.
- Provide guidance and assistance to the campus community with regard to the interpretation and application of regulations and requirements involving research activity
- Serve as the point of contact for research compliance program regulators (where appropriate) and ensure completion of registration and reporting requirements.
- Serve as the university’s research integrity officer (RIO) with oversight of the university research misconduct policy, procedures, and investigations.
35% of Time the Research Compliance, Director
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Research Compliance, Director
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Research Compliance, Director
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.