Job Standard for Research Scholar, Principal
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Research Scholar, Principal Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75460
- Pay Grade: P12
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Principal
- Family: Research & Laboratory
- Function: Research
Leads a highly specialized or multifaceted/multidisciplinary research program and directs the work of other researchers and support staff. May lead the submission of proposals for external sponsored funding and may serve as principal investigators on sponsored projects.
Recognized master in a professional discipline with significant impact and influence on campus policy and program development. Establishes critical strategic and operational goals; develops and implements new products, processes, standards or operational plans to achieve strategies. Regularly leads projects of critical importance to the campus that carry substantial consequences of success or failure. Requires significant influence and communication with executive leadership. Problems faced are frequently complex and multidimensional, requiring broad-based consideration of variables that impact multiple areas of the organization.
Requires a minimum of a Ph.D. (or equivalent terminal degree in a relevant discipline), with at least 3 years of experience similar to that of a Senior Research Scholar. In rare instances an individual, with comparable professional experience but less than a doctoral degree, will be considered on an exception basis.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated expertise in business and management practices
- Excellent program, time management, and communication skills
- Experienced professional researcher who conducts significant original research
- Ability to serve as a lead investigator on multi-researcher initiatives
- Team player with an excellent work ethic and meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to oversee the development and execution of complex experimental and analytical designs that may involve multiple researchers or even multiple disciplines
- Scientific writing skills demonstrated through peer-reviewed publications
- Experience presenting research results in meetings, conferences, and seminars
- Strong interpersonal and mentoring skills
- Advocate for safety and ethics in the workplace
Determined by department needs
35% of Time the Research Scholar, Principal may:
- Oversee the set-up, management, and tracking of billing, expenditures, and revenue streams.
- Direct and oversee interfaces with vendors, contractors, professional research staff, faculty, and students to develop and manage research projects or programs.
- Ensure that training procedures and certification processes for instrumentation users are developed and maintained.
- Serve as a principal investigator on a funded research project.
- Supervise or mentor and train undergraduate and graduate students, postdocs, and research staff.
- Take lead responsibility for entire research projects or programs.
- Oversee the preparation of complete documentation of research activities for reference purposes, including following applicable data management protocols.
- Ensure the appropriate analysis, interpretation, and documentation of research findings.
- Evaluate existing research techniques and identify improvements to ensure quality and productivity.
- Take lead responsibility for the preparation of proposals and reports.
- Assist in the teaching of classes.
60% of Time the Research Scholar, Principal
Sample Text: Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Research Scholar, Principal
Sample Text: Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
To be completed by department
May be required to travel with overnight stays.
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.