Job Standard for Research Scholar
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Research Scholar Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75316
- Pay Grade: P8
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Family: Research & Laboratory
- Function: Research & Lab Support
Serves as an independent researcher or a collaborator on a multi-scholar research initiative. May have lead responsibility for discrete components of a larger project under the general direction of a senior or principal researcher.
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply scientific theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field and limited oversight from more senior researchers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities associated with the position. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex. Analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May assist in managing programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources. Through more senior researchers influences others regarding policies, practices, and procedures.
Requires a minimum of a Ph.D. degree or equivalent terminal degree in a relevant discipline, with a minimum of 2 years postdoctoral experience (or equivalent research experience) with a demonstrated record of research productivity. A Master’s degree or equivalent, plus at least 5 years of relevant post-master’s professional work experience, or in rare instances, a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, plus at least 8 years of exceptional relevant professional experience also will be considered.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Team player with an excellent work ethic, meticulous attention to detail, and high intrinsic self-motivation to learn and work in the lab or field, as applicable
- Ability to acquire accurate, reproducible data with a critical eye towards consistency, reproducibility, and the scientific method in general
- Scientific writing skills demonstrated through peer-reviewed publications
- Experience presenting research results in meetings, conferences, and seminars
- Excellent project and time management skills
- Strong interpersonal and mentoring skills
- Advocate for safety and ethics in the workplace
Determined by department needs
35% of Time the Research Scholar may:
- Operate and maintain research or field equipment, as applicable.
- Supervise or mentor and train undergraduate and graduate students, postdocs, and research staff.
- Take lead responsibility for discrete components of a larger research project under the general direction of a senior or principal researcher.
- Prepare complete documentation of research activities for reference purposes, including following applicable data management protocols.
- Analyze, interpret, and document research findings for review.
- Compare actual results and expected results and suggest solutions to correct the deviations.
- Evaluate existing research techniques and recommend improvements to ensure quality and productivity.
- Assist in the preparation of proposals and reports.
- Assist in the teaching of classes.
60% of Time the Research Scholar
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Research Scholar
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
To be completed by department
May be required to travel with overnight stays.
Senior Research Scholar
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.