Job Standard for Research Technician 1
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Research Technician 1 Overview
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 07020
- Pay Grade: G
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Career Level: Level 1
- Family: Research
- Function: Research/Lab Support
To perform multi-task technical work to conduct basic sampling, monitoring, and/or data collection activities for air quality, water quality or waste programs, or scientific, engineering for technical staff; perform related work.
Applies basic skills while developing some specialized skills in procedures, operations, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment appropriate to area of specialization; performs routine and/or repetitive tasks; limited decision making required; generally works under close supervision; has no or limited experience; work is performed from within specific limits of established procedures and/or defined instructions.
Some knowledge of: scientific methods.
Experience: data collection and compilation; in database manipulation; researching using various sources.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
60% of Time the Research Technician 1 must:
- The Research Technician 1 works under direct supervision performing moderately complex technical work. Level of work includes performing routine equipment set-up, testing repair, and maintenance for field monitoring instruments, implementing quality control/quality assurance techniques to test sampling methodologies and conducting analysis of samples or field measurements to determine the need for additional or different data collection tasks. At this level, incumbents perform multiple focused tasks such as sampling, monitoring, or research activities for maintaining program or project quality and consistency. May use specialized software and equipment to complete job duties.
- Performs field tests and maintains sampling systems to develop accurate results; documents results for supervisory determination of conformance or non-conformance with plans, standards and agreements; maintains chain-of-custody records; conducts air, water, waste and geological sampling; calculates, records, and checks test results and completes standardized documentation.
- These positions evaluate and develop methods and instrument-operations for accuracy and precision and provide guidance to staff regarding sample preservation, testing procedures, and equipment operation.
- Develops data from historical documents and current test results to create baselines and trends; codes data for computer input; writes draft reports and records; maintains and updates manuals, files and records; prepares field maps and charts; develops photographic documentation; uses GPS, field notes and land survey instruments to plot forms and features; develops documentation and provides data for re-creation of circumstances; develops basic design features using computer-aided drafting software; may perform algebraic, geometric, and land survey trigonometric calculations.
35% of Time the Research Technician 1
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Research Technician 1
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Work may involve walking and climbing over rough terrain and/or in streams while lifting and carrying equipment weighing up to 50 pounds. Some positions require employees to work with chemicals and toxic materials (these incumbents will be required to undergo periodic biologic and medical testing while employed in these positions). Some positions require operating a raft or motor boat and hand or power tools. Employees may be required to camp and furnish their own camping and cooking equipment.
Not applicable for Research Technician 1
Research Technician 2
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.