Job Standard for Retirement Specialist, Senior
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Retirement Specialist, Senior Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75764
- Pay Grade: P8
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Family: Human Resources
- Function: Benefits
The Retirement Specialist, Sr. provides assistance to employees as they plan for retirement. This position responds to retirement inquiries, works with the Office of Group Insurance, PERSI and the ORP vendors at the time of employees’ retirement, and provides the employee with the necessary documentation to enroll in Medicare and other health plans. The position also handles the Retiree Life Insurance and the Emeritus approval process.
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of areas typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices and procedures.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent plus 5 years of experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience guiding and supporting employees
- Ability to present information to large groups
- Ability to think analytically and critically
- Experience planning and organizing projects
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure and with tight deadlines
- Ability to perform a wide range of duties and tasks
- Ability to act as lead and provide training to key personnel
60% of Time the Retirement Specialist, Senior must:
- Prepares a Retirement Process and Benefits Guide communication for employees that are planning retirement.
- Meet with employees to review their retirement plans.
- Process and track the Emeritus applications.
- Set up and maintain the Retiree Life Insurance enrollment.
- Process Death Claims for retirees and active employees.
- Communicate information to beneficiaries and other areas such as the Emeritus Guild/departments regarding death.
- Back-up benefits support for team members.
Prepare, schedule and present Retirement Workshops.
- Schedule and arrange SHIBA workshops on campus
35% of Time the Retirement Specialist, Senior
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Retirement Specialist, Senior
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
This position is generally in a normal indoor office setting with minimal noise levels and may involve bending, moving, lifting, and carrying materials that weigh up to 15 pounds..
Not applicable for Retirement Specialist, Senior
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbents must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.