Job Standard for Security Officer, Supervisor
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Security Officer, Supervisor Overview
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 01926
- Pay Grade: I
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Career Level: Supervisor 1
- Family: Safety/Security
- Function: Safety/Security Services
To direct staff engaged in campus and special event security; perform related work.
Provides immediate supervision to a unit or group of operational or technical employees. A portion of time may be spent performing individual tasks related to the unit; however, supervisory activities must constitute a primary part of the job. Supervises unit operations to ensure compliance with departmental or campus policies, procedures, and defined internal controls. Ensures accountability and stewardship of campus resources (operational, financial, and human) in compliance with departmental standards and procedures.
Good knowledge of: self-defense measures; first aid; security problems and safety hazards as they relate to a large complex of buildings and grounds.
Some knowledge of: supervisory practices.
Experience: performing investigations incidental to security activities; training others in security procedures; completing investigative reports; making oral presentations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to analyze information and evaluate results to choose the best solution and solve problems
- Ability to communicate information effectively
- Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote an effective operation.
60% of Time the Security Officer, Supervisor must:
- Plans and directs security activities for special events to include traffic and crowd control, substance abuse awareness, and first aid;
- Investigates campus incidents such as thefts, vandalism, and assaults; writes and files reports with authorities; participates with local law-enforcement officers in investigations; maintains chain-of-evidence in criminal cases by cataloging and securing evidence; escorts campus personnel transporting large sums of money; serves as back-up or fill-in for security staff; develops positive working relations with patrons and facility staff; may perform parking enforcement duties.
- Prepares training materials and conducts training for full- and part-time security staff; ensures that sufficient inventory of supplies and equipment is available for staff; completes payroll forms; computes cost to provide security at special events and bills responsible parties; participates in hiring of staff; schedules personnel to insure adequate security coverage; evaluates staff performance
35% of Time the Security Officer, Supervisor
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Security Officer, Supervisor
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
This position involves the physical ability to visually observe activities in an assigned area both during the day and night hours; and to subdue and restrain resisting violators.
Not applicable for Security Officer, Supervisor
Other professional positions
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.