Job Standard for Senior Project Manager Strategic Planning
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Senior Project Manager Strategic Planning Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75545
- Pay Grade: P11
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior Manager
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Business Process & Improvement
The Senior Project Manager for Strategic Planning and Academic Initiatives is a senior level position that helps ensure that the Strategic Plan Implementation Council and special academic initiatives and projects meet their goals and objectives through effective and efficient management practices and the ability to shift between details and the bigger picture. The incumbent manages implementation projects, conducts background research, analyzes information, and develops recommendations to inform leadership decisions for a wide range of issues impacting implementation of the university’s strategic plan.
This position disseminates critical information utilizing exceptional written and verbal communications. This position is also responsible for interpreting and explaining policies and procedures and applying them to the resolution of non-routine and complex issues. The position provides executive level support to the Strategic Plan Implementation Council and special academic projects. In both arenas, the position represents leadership to internal and external constituents with a high degree of professionalism and confidentiality.
To create an effective working environment so that business goals can be met. Responsible for the successful initiation, planning, design, execution of projects and resource management efforts to ensure projects align with department and divisional goals, and strategic outcomes with university objectives. Partner across campus units to drive process improvements, identify root causes of issues and recommend solutions that increase organization capability.
Spends the majority of time (50% or more) achieving organizational objectives through the coordinated achievements of subordinate staff. Manages experienced professionals who exercise latitude and independence in assignments. Establishes departmental goals and objectives, functions with autonomy. Manages the accountability and stewardship of human, financial, and often physical resources in compliance with departmental and campus wide goals and objectives. Ensures subordinate supervisors and professionals adhere to defined internal controls with a focus on policy and strategy implementation. Manages systems and procedures to protect departmental assets and requires practical knowledge in leading and managing the execution of processes, projects and tactics.
Bachelor’s degree and 5 years of experience, including 1 year of managerial experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Inherently talented at calmly handling multiple, changing priorities and competing deadlines
- Strong knowledge and experience in project management, business process design, and reengineering
- Demonstrate a strong collaborative leadership style
- Ability to problem-solve, multi-task and successfully lead and manage projects and staff
- Responsible for identifying and addressing individual, organizational and environmental conditions that foster or inhibit mission achievement
- Demonstrated ability to help leaders determine links between organizational culture, strategic initiatives, and talent
- Successful working independently and as part of a team
- Excellent communication skills with the demonstrated ability to strike the right tone and select the best medium of messaging
- A self-starter, driven by a standard of excellence
60% of Senior Project Manager Strategic Planning
- Develop and manage special project assignments as requested by the Strategic Plan Implementation Council or related to special academic initiatives
- Initiate projects and contribute to the development of quality metrics by utilizing established project standards and procedures. Creates, maintains, develops and continually updates project plans and schedules.
- Decision making authority to approve budgetary actions and commit department resources and determine appropriate action related to the implementation of the university’s strategic plan or academic projects
- Collaboratively lead talent/strength mapping with leadership and utilize workforce data and analytics to drive change and inform decisions
- Represent the department on project strategies, communication plans that support established goals and initiatives
- Leads project teams both internal and external, communicating individual roles and project expectations. Ensure a channel for clear communication between managers and employees, play a role in resolving conflict and issues.
- Manage staff to ensure innovation and employee engagement goals are reached
- Independently responds on behalf of the department to operational or service issues and concerns working closely with leadership.
35% of Time the Senior Project Manager Strategic Planning
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Senior Project Manager Strategic Planning
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business needs, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.