Job Standard for Shipping and Receiving Materials Handler
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Shipping and Receiving Materials Handler Overview
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 01548
- Pay Grade: F
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Career Level: Level 1
- Family: Campus Planning & Facilities
- Function: Facilities Operations Services
To ship, receive, and deliver supplies, materials and equipment, and maintain inventory control and records; perform related work.
Applies basic skills while developing some specialized skills in procedures, operations, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment appropriate to area of specialization; performs routine and/or repetitive tasks; limited decision making required; generally works under close supervision; has no or limited experience; work is performed from within specific limits of established procedures and/or defined instructions.
Some knowledge of: basic math skills such as adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing
Experience: handling, storing, and shipping materials or supplies; operating material handling equipment; accessing information on a computer; reviewing documents for accuracy and completeness.
Willingness to: be trained on the operation of power and/or hand tools; greet individuals, answer phones, and provide information to customers; bend, stoop, lift and move objects weighing up to 50 pounds; stand and walk continuously throughout an 8 hour shift; work in dusty and dirty conditions; handle and store hazardous materials; clean and maintain a safe working environment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of electronic parts to procure, store and issue electronic inventory and supplies.
- Ability and willingness to perform postal clerk duties.
60% of Time the Shipping and Receiving Materials Handler must:
- Receive and unload freight both manually or with equipment such as forklifts and pallet jacks; checks for damaged goods; verifies quantity and quality of order; verify items received with purchase order; wraps, packages, and ships supplies; delivers and retrieves supplies to and from work or storage areas; tags and issues supplies; stocks shelves and rotates inventory; may receive, store, and ship flammable, explosive or caustic and hazardous material; may assemble and move furniture; may maintain equipment and vehicles.
- Participates in physical inventories of warehouse and/or supply yard; maintains inventory records by adding or deleting supplies as they are shipped or received; operates a personal computer to access, enter, and correct information; answers phones and provides information using customer service skills; may provide advice regarding supplies or property including price and availability; may prepare damage claims for supervisor’s review and signature; may coordinate disposal of surplus property and manage records retention.
35% of Time the Shipping and Receiving Materials Handler
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Shipping and Receiving Materials Handler
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
These positions involve lifting and carrying objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
Not applicable for Shipping and Receiving Materials Handler
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.