Job Standard for Sign Fabricator
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Sign Fabricator Overview
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 06254
- Pay Grade: H
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Career Level: Level 2
- Family: Communications & Marketing
- Function: Publications & Graphics
This classification may be used to design, lay out, and fabricate traffic control and informational signs for state highways or be used in a sign and graphics shop to produce a variety of signs; perform related work.
Applies skills and job knowledge in area of specialization; may adapt procedures, operations, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment to meet needs of area of specialization; may work on non-routine tasks; resolves issues/makes working decisions within area of specialization or responsibility with minimal supervision.
Some knowledge of: the characteristics and uses of various materials for sign fabrication.
Experience: using hand and power tools and equipment associated with sign fabrication.
Physical ability to: frequently bend and stoop; lift and carry objects weighing up to 100 pounds; stand on concrete floor for up to 4 hours during a normal shift.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience operating PC or Mac based design software and digital wide-format printers and plotters
60% of Time the Sign Fabricator must:
- Designs, lays out and fabricates a variety of signs for business use; applies and ensures compliance with institutional, state, and federal signage guidelines; operate hand and power tools such as saws, punches, knives, grinders, routers, drills, and other equipment; provides sign installation services.
- Operates and maintains PC- or Mac-based computer-aided design/manufacturing systems for sign fabrication to include various software and database programs, scanners, digitizing tablets, printers, plotters and engravers; provides digital proof for customer review and approval.
35% of Time the Sign Fabricator
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Sign Fabricator
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Incumbents in a sign and graphics shop environment are exposed to noise, dust and power tools and may be required to wear protective equipment.
Not applicable for Sign Fabricator
Sign Fabrication Coordinator
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.