Job Standard for Social Media Manager
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Social Media Manager Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75189
- Pay Grade: P8
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Family: Communications & Marketing
- Function: Marketing
Responsible for designing and implementing the social media strategy for Boise State University. Communicates and connects with various audiences using social media. Manages main social profiles on a variety of social media platforms and is responsible for targeted social media campaigns. Coordinates and creates digital content using photography and videography..
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of areas typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices and procedures.
Bachelor’s Degree and 5 years experience or professional equivalent experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of social media platforms and their participants, including: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Google+, etc.
- Experience writing content for social platforms and an understanding of how the platforms are unique from each other.
- Experience measuring engagement on social media platforms and creating plans utilizing these measures.
- Strong social media and marketing expertise able to connect and mobilize audiences to action.
- Experience working with email marketing programs.
- Must be a problem solver with a ‘can-do’ attitude.
- Excellent copywriting skills, ability to deliver creative content (text, image and video). Ability to ensure the proper tone is adhered to in various communications.
- Ability to demonstrate exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Composed and professional in stressful situations, ranging from interpersonal conflict to emergency situations.
60% of Time the Social Media Manager must:
- Responsible for being a resident expert on all social media platforms and provides insight into new applications and social trends. Design and implement social media strategy to align with business goals.
- Generate, edit, publish and share content daily that is customized to be engaging and useful for audiences on individual social media platforms.
- Administer multiple social media accounts on behalf of Boise State University, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and YouTube.
- Communicate with followers, respond to queries in a timely manner and monitor customer reviews.
- Makes recommendations for, and coordinates with Communications Managers, on targeted social media campaigns.
- Advises leadership on social media trends and makes recommendations for social media engagement.
- Makes recommendations to department leadership for digital storytelling opportunities. Manages video projects to ensure brand standards and tone are met.
- Advises other departments on social media strategy and best practices and works collaboratively to leverage content across all accounts.
- Manages and maintains the monitoring of social media analytics to ensure active engagement and results. Creates regular reports to be distributed to management and other departments.
- Researches various new media and communication outreach methods and costs to determine the best media and communication approach to connect with various audiences and reach target objectives.
35% of Time the Social Media Manager
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Social Media Manager
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Sample Text: Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Social Media Manager
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.