Job Standard for Software Application Administration Lead 4
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Software Application Administration Lead 4 Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75733
- Pay Grade: P14
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Principal
- Family: Information Technology
- Function: Cloud Infrastructure Services
Provide forward-looking and some day-to-day application administration support, capacity planning, usage forecasting and in-depth technical review of application and server infrastructure as it applies to application delivery. Migrate code from one environment to another and manage security for various applications at the server level. Troubleshoot and resolve issues with the application at the application, network and/or server level, and serve as a technical resource for the team and OIT.
Recognized master in professional discipline with significant impact and influence on campus policy and program development. Establishes critical strategic and operational goals; develops and implements new products, processes, standards or operational plans to achieve strategies. Regularly leads projects of critical importance to the campus; these projects carry substantial consequences of success or failure. Requires significant influence and communication with executive leadership. Problems faced are frequently complex and multidimensional, requiring broad based consideration of variables that impact multiple areas of the organization.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Information Systems, Management Information Systems or Computer Science plus 14 years of relevant professional experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong working knowledge of the following software, languages and tools:
- Windows Server
- Apache Tomcat/Web server
- Linux/Unix systems and software
- SQL Administration (MySQL, Oracle or Microsoft SQL)
- Strong scripting skills (powershell, php, python, ruby, perl, etc).
- Ability to set priorities and follow project schedules, strong analytical and troubleshooting skills.
- Knowledge of database connectivity issues, integration processes with directory services (Novell, Active Directory or Oracle Internet Directory).
- Strong knowledge in load balancing methodology, in redundant and high availability services.
- Knowledge of TCP/IP connectivity over an Ethernet based network, Java and/or .NET applications and architecture.
- Strong organizational, written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills. Must be able to work with and communicate with people of various knowledge levels from the very technical to the casual user.
60% of Time the Software Application Administration Lead 4 must:
- Act as a point of contact for various application vendors whose applications the University has licensed.
- Install application software on servers, as needed, monitor, download and apply upgrades, updates and fixes for the supported applications.
- Provide before, after hours and weekend support for migrations, updates, fixes and issues as needed.
- Provide technical assistance and consulting to functional areas and other teams around the University on problems that may be server or application related.
- Perform application tuning according to vendor instructions, plan, test and implement configuration changes for service improvements including performance tuning, integration changes, updating from new best practices and updates to security configurations as needed based on best practices or recommendations from Information Security Services including adjustments to TLS settings and separation of privileges for service accounts.
- Maintain installation documentation and on any modifications to default installation of various applications.
- Script or create programs to automate daily operational tasks, review scripts/applications written by the team to provide updates or assistance.
- Adhere to published standards and procedures, such as naming conventions, security, programming conventions, code walkthroughs, testing conventions and migration processes.
- Provide technical direction and assistance to the team and other teams with OIT.
- Arrange one-on-one training with team members, as needed and create and present technical sessions to the team.
- Improve Application administration internal standards and processes to promote increased quality, performance and customer service.
- Contribute ideas and suggestions in team discussions. Seek technical assistance from team members as requested.
- Take ownership of issues.
- Review existing environments for changes based on new technology, changing needs and new priorities. Assist in architecting new environments.
35% of Time the Software Application Administration Lead 4
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Software Application Administration Lead 4
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
General Office – Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally (Occasionally: activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of the time) and/or a negligible amount of force frequently (Frequently: activity or condition exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time) to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. General office work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.
May be required to travel with overnight stays.
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.