Job Standard for Deputy Director, Office of Sponsored Programs and Senior Director of Operations, Division of Research and Economic Development
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Job Standard for Deputy Director, Office of Sponsored Programs and Senior Director of Operations, Division of Research and Economic Development Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75305
- Pay Grade: P15
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Assistant Director
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Research Administration
Provide assistance to the executive director in decision-making and policy development related to administration and management of sponsored program activities at the university. Evaluate current research administration business practices at the university and assist in expanding and enhancing research support services provided to university faculty and staff.
Manages a large team typically consisting of both experienced professionals and subordinate Managers. Focuses on tactical and operational plans with short to mid term focus; significant responsibility to achieve broadly stated goals through subordinate Managers. Determines objectives, directs programs, develops strategies and policies, manages human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a high degree of autonomy. Requires broad management and leadership knowledge to lead a project or program teams in one dept/job family. Proactively assesses risk to establish systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Determines campus strategies for a program with campus wide impact. May report to an Associate/Assistant Vice President or Dean.
Bachelor’s Degree and 7 years experience or equivalent including 3 years managerial experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Comprehensive knowledge of state, federal and standard for-profit regulatory compliance requirements
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to analyze problems and recommend solutions
- Supervisory experience in a university setting
60% of Time the Job Standard for Deputy Director, Office of Sponsored Programs and Senior Director of Operations, Division of Research and Economic Development must:
- Provide day-to-day support to the executive director of the Office of Sponsored Programs to ensure the efficiency of daily operations of sponsored programs at Boise State University
- Ensure compliance and adherence to all current policies and procedures and participate in the development of OSP and other administrative units’ policies related to the administration of sponsored programs
- Support executive director by researching issues and advising on new regulatory developments that impact research administration
- Act as a liaison with funding agencies to resolve complex issues (financial, programmatic)
- Evaluate current research administration business practices and develop protocols and procedures that create efficiencies; continually assess and document processes and revise as needed
- Support the executive director by providing background information, research, documentation, metrics and measurements or other data as needed in the course of her duties
- Identify training needs for faculty, project directors, departmental personnel and others involved in research administration
- Lead the effort, in collaboration with senior research administrators and grant accountants, to create and implement a formal, comprehensive training program on research administration topics (budget development, subaward monitoring, post-award fiscal monitoring, effort reporting, cost sharing, etc.)
35% of Time the Job Standard for Deputy Director, Office of Sponsored Programs and Senior Director of Operations, Division of Research and Economic Development
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Job Standard for Deputy Director, Office of Sponsored Programs and Senior Director of Operations, Division of Research and Economic Development
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Job Standard for Deputy Director, Office of Sponsored Programs and Senior Director of Operations, Division of Research and Economic Development
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.