Job Standard for Sponsored Project Administrator, Senior
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Sponsored Project Administrator Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code:75827
- Pay Grade: P8
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Research Administration
Provide experienced fiscal oversight and administration for principal investigators and departmental and college staff who have complex externally funded sponsored projects.
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of areas typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices and procedures.
Bachelor’s Degree and 5 years relevant experience or equivalent professional experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to communicate complex concepts effectively verbally and in writing.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Knowledge and experience with generally accepted accounting principles and familiarity with accounting systems.
- Demonstrated ability to read and understand contract language relative to fiscal administration of sponsored projects.
- Ability to interpret and apply federal, state and University regulations.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to read, understand, and interpret policies and legal documents.
60% of Time the Sponsored Projects Administrator, Senior must:
- Provide fiscal management services to faculty and staff and collaborate with key personnel to ensure comprehensive oversight of complex sponsored projects.
- Analyze costs for compliance with federal cost principles and reconcile the University’s financial ledger with sponsored project budgets and expenditures.
- Assume all designated responsibilities as assigned to oversee a portfolio of sponsored projects from project set up through close out and record retention periods.
- Review and understand award terms and conditions, including cost sharing requirements; review and analyze expenditures for compliance.
- Act as the first point of contact for Sponsored Project Administrators for guidance on complex compliance issues.
- Independently review sponsored project activity for discrepancies and errors; assess issues as they arise and apply guidance provided by regulations that govern sponsored project management.
35% of Time the Sponsored Projects Administrator, Senior
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Sponsored Projects Administrator, Senior
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Sponsored Project Administrator, Senior
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.