Job Standard for Student Services, Supervisor
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Student Services, Supervisor Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75399
- Pay Grade: P4
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Supervisor
- Family: Student Services
- Function: Student Activities & Services
Supervises a student services operation or department.
Provides immediate supervision to a unit or group of operational or technical employees. Sets and delegates day-to-day tasks to achieve operational objectives. A portion of time may be spent performing individual tasks related to the unit; however, supervisory activities must constitute a primary part of the job. Supervises unit operations to ensure compliance with departmental or campus policies, procedures, and defined internal controls. Problems typically involve a single area, process or constituent group. Ensures accountability and stewardship of campus resources (operational, financial, and human) in compliance with departmental standards and procedures.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Experience conducting studies and preparing reports.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, students, and the general public.
- Knowledge of how to interpret and apply the rules, regulations, and policies governing registration and admissions and other functions assigned.
- Experience operating computers and business-related software, including word processing, spreadsheets, and databases.
- Experience supervising, training, evaluating, and schedule office staff.
- Ability to work independently with little direction.
60% of Time the Student Services, Supervisor must:
- Coordinate and supervise office operations, including admissions, registration, residency, certifications, records, veterans, and others.
- Supervise, train, evaluate, and assign office staff; participate in the hiring and disciplinary recommendations of staff.
- Assure compliance of staff during a shift with district rules, policies, and procedures and laws governing residency, veterans, admissions, testing, and other areas of student services.
- Assist students and staff in resolving problems and complaints
- Recommend procedures to be used for the assigned areas.
- Maintain permanent student records.
- Provide information to students and staff; respond to more difficult questions as referred by assigned staff; coordinate and perform admissions activities with other college departments.
- Assist in monitoring budget expenditures for student services program areas.
- Serve on special committees and perform special projects as assigned.
- Prepare and maintain reports and statistics as required.
35% of Time the Student Services, Supervisor
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Student Services, Supervisor
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Student Services Coordinator
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.