Job Standard for Student Success Coach, Senior
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75885
- Pay Grade: P7
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Family: Student Services
- Function: Academic Advising/ Student Support
The Senior Student Success Coach is responsible for supporting the coordination and implementation of online student recruitment and strategies designed to meet or exceed student enrollment goals.
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of areas typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices and procedures.
Bachelor’s Degree and 5 years experience or equivalent
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to support and advise students throughout the admission, onboarding, enrollment and graduation cycles.
- Experience in training and mentoring others to support unified efforts in student services and engagement.
- Ability to create processes to efficiently serve students and track success.
- Excellent communication skills with some conflict resolution
- Ability to adapt to rapidly changing priorities and work well under pressure.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong ability to manage, coordinate, and deliver on concepts and information effectively while ensuring the university and department values.
- Experience in handling difficult and sensitive situations
- Ability to use sound, independent judgment within general policy and legal guidelines.
- Strong knowledge of online learning environments.
- Proficiently collaborate, negotiate and communicate with all stakeholders (internal and external) via phone, email, virtual conferences and in person to achieve a desired outcome.
- Strong organization and time management skills.
- Ability to preserve confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Detail-oriented with a high level of integrity, and enthusiasm.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with and elicit cooperation from colleagues, members of external groups, and co-workers on complex issues.
- Ability to compose written material with a succinct message and free of spelling or grammatical errors
60% of Time the Student Success Coach, Senior must:
- Serve as primary contact and recruit individuals who indicate interest in pursuing an online degree program through Boise State University. Providing accurate information regarding the academic program attributes, admissions, financial aid, online education, degree plans and academic advising.
o Communicate effectively, proactively and regularly with students using telephone, email, and instant chat (potentially using text messages or web conferencing).
o Follow-up with prospective students on a regular basis, sharing academic degree details, admission materials needed by the university.
o Follow up with applicants, encouraging them to complete university and academic program specific admission requirements.
o Problem-solve a variety of student related issues that will involve interpreting University policies and procedures, fact-finding, communicating with field experts, creating options, and deciding final action.
o Provide advice to transfer and adult students about university policies, programs of study and degree options.
o Be fully informed of Boise State admission policies and procedures and be able to clearly and specifically communicate the intricacies of the process to prospective students.
- Train, mentor and support other recruitment staff, departmental staff and members of the Student Success team.
o Take a leadership role in the overall goal progress tracking and contribute to sales strategy and implementation processes.
o Lead assigned workgroups and online recruitment campaigns.
o Support escalated program questions and requests for expanded information on nuanced and complex program questions.
o Engage in intentional and continuous efforts to improve service to and coaching of students, which includes improving internal processes, procedures, resources and published content.
o Provide accurate, detailed information regarding admission and online transfer credit policies, academic programs and degrees, career and special services, financial aid and scholarships, and other opportunities available through Boise State online programs.
o Lead student worker hiring, onboarding, training, and day-to-day operations.
35% of Time the Student Success Coach, Senior
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Student Success Coach, Senior
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and requiring wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Student Success Coach, Senior
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbents must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.