Job Standard for Student Union, Assistant Director
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Student Union, Assistant Director Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75379
- Pay Grade: P8
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Assistant Director
- Family: Student Services
- Function: Student Activities & Services
Develops and improves strategic relationships and business processes to evaluate and maximize Student Union and Campus Services resources and effectiveness.
Manages a large team typically consisting of both experienced professionals and subordinate Managers. Focuses on tactical and operational plans with short to mid term focus; significant responsibility to achieve broadly stated goals through subordinate Managers. Determines objectives, directs programs, develops strategies and policies, manages human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a high degree of autonomy. Requires broad management and leadership knowledge to lead a project or program teams in one dept/job family. Proactively assesses risk to establish systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Determines campus strategies for a program with campus wide impact.
Bachelor’s Degree and 7 years experience or equivalent including 3 years managerial experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience in management, budget, personnel, building maintenance or related areas.
- Budgetary and supervisory ability
- Demonstrated leadership, organizational and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively with the public, students, faculty, staff and external agencies.
- Willingness to work irregular and flexible hours.
60% of Time the Student Union, Assistant Director must:
- Manages a program of building maintenance; arranges for building repairs and approves repair requests, within established guidelines.
- Administers and monitors all personnel actions such as searches, hiring procedures, time cards, overtime requests in assigned areas of responsibility, and applies provisions of collective bargaining agreements.
- Provides necessary administrative support for social, cultural and recreational programs.
- Prepares custodial and maintenance schedules and establishes priorities for upkeep of building equipment.
- Selects, supervises, trains and evaluates clerical, maintenance and professional staff and other assigned staff; determines work assignments and work schedules.
- Develops a preliminary Student Union operations budget and manages approved budget; monitors income and approves expenses and keeps the Director informed of budget status.
- Evaluates existing facilities and recommends and oversees approved major renovations.
- Manage and staff income-producing activities
- Administers all purchasing activities and approves purchase requests, in assigned area of responsibility, within established guidelines.
- Assists Director in overall operation of the department.
- Performs related duties as required.
35% of Time the Student Union, Assistant Director
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Student Union, Assistant Director
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Student Union, Director
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.