Job Standard for Student Union Director
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Student Union Director Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75391
- Pay Grade: P11
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Director
- Family: Student Services
- Function: Student Activities & Services
Provides vision, goal development, leadership, supervision, and coordination for the Student Union services.
Oversees through subordinate Managers a large, complex organization with multiple functional disciplines/occupations, OR manages a program, regardless of size, that has critical impact upon the campus. Significant responsibility for formulating and administering policies and programs, manages significant human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a very high degree of autonomy. Frequently influences business decisions made by senior leadership. Oversees through subordinate Managers the accountability and stewardship of campus resources and the development of systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Negotiates and influences others to understand and accept new concepts, practices and approaches..
Bachelor’s Degree and 8 years experience or equivalent including 5 years managerial experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge and at least three (3) years of commercial food service operations and public facility management skills (maintenance, emergency procedures, housekeeping and security).
- Demonstrated knowledge of group dynamics, conflict resolution skills necessary for training, problem solving, etc.
- Demonstrated knowledge of accounting and finance necessary to develop and interpret department reports.
- Demonstrated knowledge of project management and construction processes. Ability to read construction documents and specifications books.
- Experience in managing budgets.
- Experience in supervision of full time permanent staff.
- Experience with Microsoft Word and Excel Spreadsheet, and complex relational database software.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with student development theory and/or adult learning.
60% of Time the Student Union Director must:
- Directly manages the supervisory staff responsible for event and meeting production, custodial services, audiovisual production services, coordinates building maintenance repairs and building projects for a wide range of facilities across campus
- Develops and approves the operating procedures for custodial, audiovisual production services, operations and maintenance, and other areas of direct responsibility.
- Provides daily supervision to ensure the safety and security of the Student Union staff and guests
- Provides leadership to the facility and operations for different food service concepts and full service kitchens in different facilities across campus with the Dining Director.
- Coordinates, plans, and supervises renovation and construction projects for food service upgrades and addition in partnership with the Dining Director.
- Initiates or assists in the development of the bid and selections process and criterion required for RFPs and the bid specifications for purchases of equipment, specialized services such as food services, software, design, marketing research, etc. and construction projects.
- Develops, coordinates and administers the marketing, budgeting, collaboration and implementation of the University event services.
- Determines within each department the fee schedules and/or negotiates rate charges for event services to include audiovisual equipment and labor, room rates, catering, housing and other charges associated with event services.
- Establish direction for and manage the office to provide a stable, cost-effective and secure one-card platform for the University’s ID card privilege and transaction management system.
- Responsible for department training, recognition, maintenance of customer service standards and performance management working directly with each department supervisor.
- Develops and approves guidelines and procedures, memorandum of understanding documents
35% of Time the Student Union Director
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Student Union Director
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.