Job Standard for System Administrators & Engineers, Director
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
System Administrators & Engineers, Director Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75271
- Pay Grade: P15
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Director
- Family: Information Technology
- Function: Cloud Infrastructure Services
Responsible for the configuration, maintenance and deployment of an enterprise computing and storage system for the Office of Information Technology. Supervise Systems Engineer and Administration Professionals and set tasking and priorities on microprocessor servicer projects. Provide University wide support to System Administrators and develop and support services and applications within the Boise State domain.
Oversees through subordinate Managers a large, complex organization with multiple functional disciplines/occupations, OR manages a program, regardless of size, that has critical impact upon the campus. Significant responsibility for formulating and administering policies and programs, manages significant human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a very high degree of autonomy. Frequently influences business decisions made by senior leadership. Oversees through subordinate Managers the accountability and stewardship of campus resources and the development of systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Negotiates and influences others to understand and accept new concepts, practices and approaches.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Information Systems, Management Information Systems or Computer Science and 8 years work experience in the same type of work and 5 years supervisory experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Expert knowledge of server OS and server networking
- Experience in the deployment and management of an enterprise storage and server-based systems
- Skilled in interpersonal relationships, planning and communication.
- Substantial knowledge of microprocessor hardware including processors, board components, and peripherals.
- Experience in developing and delivering training in application software and microprocessor systems.
- Experience in managing staff and/or teams
- Experience in training in Information Technology concepts.
60% of Time the System Administrator & Engineers, Director must:
- Responsible for the infrastructure, configuration, scaling and deployment of an enterprise server based computing system.
- Understand at an expert level what is going on at each level of the OSI model from the physical link to the application layer.
- Responsible for the development and management of server projects, the assigning of project tasks and the monitoring of timeline and project milestones.
- Coordinate equipment, personnel and other teams to facilitate the completion of the projects.
- Diagnose server hardware and software problems to develop a workable solution.
- Define, plan and implement a stable and reliable backup plan that provides data recovery. Create automated procedures for support during non-staffed time.
- On-call support in the event of an emergency
- Write and rewrite technical documentation for users.
- Provide technical guidance to internal networking staff and the university community.
- Take a proactive approach to monitoring platforms and services, identifying and predicting problems prior to them developing into emergencies and reporting recommendations to management.
- Manage staff, coach, mentor, hire, review performance.
- Maintain current professional certification at the industry standard level or at the Boise State levels of OS deployment.
- Budget responsibility
35% of Time the System Administrator & Engineers, Director
Can be determined by department needs
5% of Time the System Administrator & Engineers, Director
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
General Office – Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally (Occasionally: activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of the time) and/or a negligible amount of force frequently (Frequently: activity or condition exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time) to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. General office work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.
May be required to travel with overnight stays.
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and /or skills required. This job description is not an employment agreement and /or an expressed or implied contract. Management has the right to alter this job description at any time without notice.