Job Standard for Systems Administrator 3
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Systems Administrator 3 Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75696
- Pay Grade: P9
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Family: Information Technology
- Function: Cloud Infrastructure Services
Responsible for the establishment, upgrade, monitoring, and maintenance of software systems and web-based services. Plan, budget, purchase, manage, maintain, diagnose, troubleshoot, and backup computer workstations. This position provides leadership and operational management, may supervise or lead others. Provide hardware and software support including servers, network infrastructure, and user accounts including workstation operating systems, server operating systems and desktop hardware and software including specialized hardware and software. Serve as a liaison with OIT and other campus entities and vendors.
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of area typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices and procedures.
Bachelor’s degree and 5 years experience, or equivalent professional experience. Prefer degree concentration in: Computer Information Systems, Management Information Systems, Computer Science, Technical Writing or Business.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of computer desktop and server systems hardware and software and associated subsystems. Including multiplatform support, computer architecture and technology, varying operating systems both desktop and server,
- Knowledge of relational database systems and SQL tools. Knowledge of the relationship between databases and other software and the interfaces necessary to facilitate a cohesive system.
- Extensive experience with PC hardware and software, networked operating systems, supporting networks, and excellent troubleshooting. Experience supporting Windows Desktops.
- Requires knowledge and/or operation of ERP systems
- Knowledge of and/or experience in document creation, management and imaging.
- Knowledge of current technology and practices, including application and network security.
- Strong communication skills (oral and written) and good interpersonal and organizational skills, with a professional demeanor and strong personal ethics.
- Good time management skills, with the ability to take ownership and complete assigned tasks.
- Demonstrate the ability to deliver exceptional customer service to a diverse clientele.
- Detail oriented, with good problem solving skills and with the ability to anticipate and provide solutions that result in gained efficiencies in business processes and improved customer service.
- Some knowledge of network cabling and switch operation, access and control equipment functions and operations, and the ability to read and understand complex operations manuals.
60% of Time the Systems Administrator 3 must:
- Provide technical support for departments technology to manage daily operation. Ensure integrity of data integration between department systems modules.
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues. Identify when issues require assistance by OIT to resolve and complete required documentation.
- Install updates and upgrades and maintain licenses and contracts on all department hardware and software. Maintain department hardware and software inventory, conduct annual inventory control on all department hardware and maintain insurance on all department equipment.
- Research and recommend new functionality for reporting tools by exploring system-wide impacts, working with functional users to define current and future processes. Research and recommend hardware purchases while adhering to department budget.
- Development of thorough testing plans for a variety of testing purposes including application testing for patchsets, software patchsets, service packs and unit/integration testing, application upgrades and implementation of new functionality.
- Understand reporting needs on campus and identify the tools available for delivering that information. Perform analysis, expertise and recommendations regarding the use of available reporting tools.
- Provide project management for implementation of new functionality and for process improvement projects on which you are the lead including develop project plan, comprising projected tasks, assignments, due dates, dependencies, accomplishments and anticipated needs.
- Assess requests for access to the system; evaluate and assign security roles and permission lists. Conduct security audit; perform periodic testing on security profiles.
- Maintain good working relationships within the campus community.
35% of Time the Systems Administrator 3
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Systems Administrator 3
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
General Office – Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally (Occasionally: activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of the time) and/or a negligible amount of force frequently (Frequently: activity or condition exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time) to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. General office work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.
Not applicable for Systems Administrator 3
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.