Job Standard for Systems Analyst, Sr.
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Systems Analyst, Sr. Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75268
- Pay Grade: P7
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Family: Information Technology
- Function: Business Systems Analysis & Support
Provides analytical, problem solving, troubleshooting, system configuration and administrative support, testing, reporting and training relating to Boise State University’s suite of applications.
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of area typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices and procedures.
Bachelor’s or Advanced Degree and 5 years of professional experience or equivalent relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent communication skills including written and verbal and the ability to participate or facilitate meetings/conversations.
- Aptitude for working with computer programs and various software applications/products.
- Attention to detail
- Excellent skills with MS Word, Access, Excel PSquery, SQL/PLSQL Developer
60% of Time the Systems Analyst, Sr. must:
- Investigate, analyze and resolve issues encountered by users. Documents all changes to processes and functionality and assist in creating necessary training documents to support staff. Stays current on software updates, new functionality or enhancements to be able to make future state recommendations.
- Liaison between business and technical areas. Act as business analyst, responsible for monitoring work to meet deadlines associated with any activity or project. Deliver solutions by providing extensive system expertise.
- Research issues related to system issues and provide direction for timely issue resolution. Responsible for testing of system fixes/patches. Upgrades including writing test scripts, executing test scripts to ensure no issues will be introduced to the system as a result of a patch or bundle.
- Work with report end users to determine data requirements, design output format, validate results for both ad hoc and scheduled reports for internal use.
35% of Time the Systems Analyst, Sr.
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Systems Analyst, Sr.
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Systems Analyst, Sr.
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.