Job Standard for Systems and Process Improvement, Director
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Systems & Process Improvement, Director Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75638
- Pay Grade: P14
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Director
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Business Process & Improvement
This position leads the Office of Continuous Improvement, which handles process improvement and change management leadership for all processes related to the Controllership function, Purchasing, and Treasury. This includes both processes internal to VPFA and those implemented by campus departments. This position works with all levels and all areas of campus. The position is both inwardly and externally focused, often facilitating consensus on complex and controversial subjects.
Oversees through subordinate Managers a large, complex organization with multiple functional disciplines/occupations, OR manages a program, regardless of size, that has critical impact upon the campus. Significant responsibility for formulating and administering policies and programs, manages significant human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a very high degree of autonomy. Frequently influences business decisions made by senior leadership. Oversees through subordinate Managers the accountability and stewardship of campus resources and the development of systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Negotiates and influences others to understand and accept new concepts, practices and approaches.
Bachelor’s degree and 8 years experience or equivalent progressive professional experience including 5 years managerial experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated experience in facilitation training.
- Expertise at successfully managing all audiences and personality types to ensure success is mandatory.
- Responsible for maintaining sound fiscal practices in the process of annual budgeting and management of the operational budget for the entire department, which is comprised of personnel expenses, other operation and travel expenses.
- Must have the ability to utilize critical thinking skills to proactively problem solve including anticipation of issues, determination of solution or resolution, and provide appropriate communication to impacted parties. Skill level should be commensurate with job level.
- Must have the ability to understand complex scenarios and dissect the components in order to identify changes required and the impact of those changes.
- Must have the ability to see conflicting perspectives of an issue and work with competing sides to form a consensus and implement a resolution.
- Must have the ability to implement and enforce policy in a respectful and customer service oriented manner. Skill level should be commensurate with job level.
- Must be able to demonstrate a willingness to be adaptable, flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a dynamic work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency
- Behave ethically: understand ethical behavior and business practices, and ensure that own behavior and the behavior of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the university
- Must be able to establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the university
- Must be able to communicate effectively, speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Must display creativity and innovation by developing new and unique ways to improve operations of University Financial Services, associated administrative groups, and campus at large and create new opportunities
- Must be able to lead and positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the university
- Must be able to make decisions, assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risk, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interest of the university
- Must be able to organize by setting priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress toward goals, and track details, data, information and activities
60% of Time the Systems & Process Improvement, Director must:
- Oversee and support the development, design and delivery of programs. Assure that the program goals and objectives align with the vision of University Financial Services and VPFA as well as with the university’s strategic plan.
- Take effective actions to build a strong team and utilize strategies to get the best out of the team and each team member.
- Proactively cultivate and sustain strong, mutually supportive partnerships with many individuals in peer administrative units and campus wide.
- Ensure projects (change initiatives) meet business, schedule and budget objectives.
- Focus on the people side of change – including changes to business processes, systems and technology, job roles and organization structures and engagement with the campus community. Utilize established change management plans that minimize employee resistance and maximize employee engagement to drive faster adoption, greater ultimate utilization and higher proficiency on the changes impacting employees in the organization such that business results are achieved.
- Clear obstacles that prevent staff from accomplishing their jobs, objectives and personal goals. This position and department will engage in significant project management duties.
- This position must ensure that all projects are progressing properly and communication is adequate to ensure stakeholders are aware of status, issues and any needed action on their part.
35% of Time the Systems & Process Improvement, Director
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Systems & Process Improvement, Director
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Systems & Process Improvement, Director
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.