Job Standard for Teacher, Children’s Center, Associate
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Teacher, Children’s Center, Associate Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75341
- Pay Grade: ET1
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Associate
- Family: Student Services
- Function: Children’s Center
Assistant Teachers are responsible for supporting the emotional and educational needs of all young children. They must assist Lead Teachers with intentionally preparing and maintaining an enriched learning environment for individual children based on developmentally appropriate programs according to NAEYC Accreditation Standards. The Assistant Teacher helps the Lead Teacher assess the needs of each child in their classroom, and then uses this assessment data to differentiate and individualize instruction to support each child’s developing skills and knowledge. Assistant Teachers are held accountable for nurturing all children, responding to their interests and needs, and making learning meaningful based on their curiosity and concrete methods. Assistant Teachers assist the Lead Teacher in implementing the curriculum, developing ongoing positive partnerships with parents and providing responsive, respectful care for individual needs of children; supervising and evaluating all classroom staff, volunteers, & practicum students in the Lead Teachers absence; maintaining a safe and sanitary environment; performing related work in collaboration with other team teachers.
Assistant Teachers are expected to maintain a very high level of quality and excellence in early care and education by being able to understand, articulate and meet the standards, criteria and guidelines outlined by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) Accreditation Standards and Criteria.
Entry-level professional with limited or no prior experience to contribute on a project or work team. Incumbent learns to use professional concepts to resolve problems of limited scope and complexity under close supervision while achieving day-to-day objectives. Works on developmental assignments that are initially routine in nature, requiring limited judgment and decision making. This level is typically focused on self development. Requires theoretical knowledge through specific education and training.
Bachelor’s Degree or relevant professional experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to read and interpret written information from a variety of sources in order to complete assignments/duties, and interact with children, parents and staff.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence in order to track and direct ongoing activities and work in progress.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of children, parents, support staff and other teachers.
60 % of Time Teacher, Children’s Center Associate will:
- Interact frequently and respectfully with all children.
- Encourage independence and modeling the use of language.
- Respect and build positive relationships with children and families
- Create a positive emotional climate for children and staff members
- Facilitate positive peer interactions
- Create a predictable, consistent and harmonious classroom.
- Honor and nurture young children’s curiosities and place their interests at the center of our curriculum. We encourage children’s inquiry into their world and support them as initiators, researchers, inventors and explorers.
- Implement lesson plans based on children’s interests and a knowledge of each child’s assessment and screening data; including acquiring a general understanding of the Idaho’s Early Learning EGuidelines and NAEYC guidelines for accreditation.
- Intentionally observe and provide respectful attention to children’s words, actions and creations.
- Prioritize the whole child by equally valuing all domains of children’s development, including cognitive, communication, motor, physical, sensory and social-emotional development. Respect all children’s right to grow and develop at their own pace.
- Implement a developmentally appropriate, high quality program for all the children in the group, making reasonable accommodations for children with special needs.
35% of Time Teacher Children’s Center, Associate:
Can be determined by department needs
5% of Time Teacher Children’s Center, Associate:
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection
Not applicable for Teacher, Children’s Center Associate
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.