Job Standard for Technical Records Specialist I
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Technical Records Specialist I Overview
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 01104
- Pay Grade: H
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Career Level: Level 2
- Family: General Administration
- Function: Administrative Operations
Provides a variety of high level program support functions; reviews and processes documents; determines and explains compliance with laws, rules, regulations and policies and takes appropriate action; maintains a manual or computerized records system; perform related work.
Applies skills and job knowledge in area of specialization; may adapt procedures, operations, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment to meet needs of area of specialization; may work on non-routine tasks; resolves issues/makes working decisions within area of specialization or responsibility with minimal supervision.
Experience: monitoring a records system to identify and correct errors; researching a variety of sources to resolve problems; interpreting, explaining and applying regulations, laws, or complex policies to carry out assignments; entering and retrieving data using a computerized records system.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of: supervisory practices; financial record keeping; bookkeeping practices; payroll methods.
- Experience: using spreadsheet software; storing, retrieving, and compiling information in a report format using database software; reviewing high school or college transcripts; using word processing software to create and modify documents; transcribing tapes into written format, OR, willing to learn this skill; working with sensitive or restricted data; using MS Excel and MS Access software; monitoring or tracking grants or contracts.
60% of Time the Technical Records Specialist I must:
- Extensive research, analysis, problem solving, and greater use of judgment in determining an appropriate course of action. Considerable latitude in interpreting and applying laws and regulations and determining if programmatic requirements have been met. Generally have expertise in a single program area. Typically perform minimal clerical support, the focus of the position is on record keeping.
- Gather information, make decisions, resolve problems, and respond to inquiries. Utilize independent judgment and discretion as to the methods, policies, and procedures used to complete assignments. Conduct involved searches which may require accessing and selecting multiple information sources or contact with clients, vendors, or outside sources to obtain information. Perform specialized support, extensive in-depth knowledge of the program.
- Generally review, evaluate, approve, and process records and/or documents; determine acceptability; explain requirements, processes, and procedures to customers; manipulate and update manual and/or computerized records systems; and develop reports.
- May supervise other support staff or have leadwork responsibilities.
35% of Time the Technical Records Specialist I
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Technical Records Specialist I
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Technical Records Specialist I
Technical Records Specialist II, Personnel Technician, Administrative Assistant
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.