Job Standard for Technical Records Specialist II
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Technical Records Specialist II Overview
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 1103
- Pay Grade: I
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Career Level: Level 2
- Family: General Administration
- Function: Administrative Operations
Provides technical support for programs and organizational activities to convey information, determine compliance, and resolve controversial situations; acts as a resident expert in the implementation and maintenance of technical program guidelines; perform related work.
Applies skills and job knowledge in area of specialization; may adapt procedures, operations, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment to meet needs of area of specialization; may work on non-routine tasks; resolves issues/makes working decisions within area of specialization or responsibility with minimal supervision.
Experience: monitoring record systems to identify and correct errors; interpreting, explaining, and applying laws, regulations, and complex policies for multiple or highly specialized programs; analyzing information and researching a variety of sources to identify and resolve problems or issues; dealing with individuals from varying cultural and socio-economic backgrounds in stressful situations; entering and retrieving data using a computerized record system; composing and proofreading business correspondence.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Some knowledge of: supervisory practices and data management.
- Experience: conducting sensitive fact finding interviews; storing, retrieving and compiling information in a report format using database software and using spreadsheet software.
60% of Time the Technical Records Specialist II must:
- This class is distinguished from the Technical Records Specialist 1 by the requirement for the use of judgment, discretion, and interpretation of a variety of complex guideline policies and procedures for different programs within a related field. The incumbent is responsible for the final work and any consequence of error. The work requires extensive knowledge of department programs and objectives. The program knowledge is of such a complex nature that it typically takes new incumbents a substantial amount of time to learn. Incumbents function with considerable independence and exercise discretion in applying policies and procedures.
- Incumbents perform complex and difficult program support functions for multiple or highly specialized programs. Incumbents have the authority, knowledge, and judgment to devise solutions that fall outside existing policies and procedures. The work requires problem solving and negotiation skills with authority to act on decisions made. Incumbents serve as a program expert; and provide guidance and assistance regarding complex program rules and regulations to office staff and external customers. Due to the nature of the work, incumbents have frequent contact with internal and external customers, which requires good public relation skills. Incumbents function with considerable independence and exercise discretion in applying policies and procedures. The work requires extensive knowledge of department programs and objectives. Incumbents may supervise support staff or perform leadwork duties.
35% of Time the Technical Records Specialist II
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Technical Records Specialist II
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Technical Records Specialist II
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.