Job Standard for Training and Organizational Development Specialist, Senior
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Training and Organizational Development Specialist, Senior Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75497
- Pay Grade: P8
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Family: Human Resources
- Function: Organizational Development
This position works to design, develop, and implement effective employee training to produce a more efficient and effective workforce. Exemplifies strong emotional intelligence skills in working with supervisors and employees during times of conflict, executing team building, or implementing organizational change. Collaborates, facilitates, and builds relationships to support the mission of the employee Growth Experience.
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of areas typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes; navigates problems faced that are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices and procedures.
Bachelor’s Degree and 5 years experience or equivalent
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to work fluidly between multiple skill sets, including but not limited to organizational development, and training.
- Ability to design and implement effective training. including the evaluation and research of training options and alternatives.
- Ability to perform needs assessments and to analyze areas of strength and weakness.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the demonstrated ability to strike the right tone and select the best medium of messaging
- Good knowledge of facilitation methods and web design principles
- Ability to coach/advise employees and management through sensitive HR issues to resolve conflict and seek workable solutions
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, management, and various agencies at all levels of the organization
- Successful working independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrated ability to help leaders determine links between organizational culture, strategic initiatives, and talent
- A self-starter, driven by a standard of excellence
- Commitment to lifelong learning through continual improvement, researching/studying disciplines relevant to this position
- Strong interpersonal capabilities and ability to work cross-functionally with other leaders on sensitive and/or emotional issues
- Understand and interpret regulatory requirements, and build training (online and in-person) to communicate those requirements.
60% of Time the Training and Org Development Specialist, Senior must:
- Uses reason and de-escalation skills to manage difficult or emotional situations; present facts and recommendations verbally and in writing; plan, design, implement, and conduct training to a diverse level of management, and employees; maintain strict confidentiality.
- Investigates work-related or compliance issues and prepares summary reports, conclusions and recommendations.
- Provides advice and counsel to supervisors on employee issues as they relate to compliance with regulations and laws.
- Develops and conducts training on; employment law, ADA, performance reviews, discipline, terminations, ethics, and personnel policies and regulations. Fosters and promotes use of human resources services.
- Provides leadership and support in designing progressive people, cultural, and organizational strategies and solutions that result in engaged employees, highly successful managers and leaders.
- Coordinates and facilitates strategic planning sessions. Responsible for the design, modeling, testing, delivery, and evaluation of training and leadership development programs of a highly technical and sophisticated nature.
- Collaborate as a lead for the HR People Strategy and the Employee Experience both internally and externally.
- Assesses training needs; plans or participates in developing training course objectives; obtains training materials; presents training/instruction to both groups and individuals; evaluates training effectiveness; may oversee maintenance of training records and resource library.
- Coordinate scheduling of training courses, audiovisual equipment, and other training aids; may coordinate training with other organizations; may help identify, orient, and schedule contract trainers; receives training and participates in needs assessment, course objectives development, and evaluation; drafts and reviews training plans with supervisor prior to implementation; studies and applies adult learning theory, group process and training methods to instruct adult groups and individuals.
35% of Time the Training and Org Development Specialist, Senior
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Training and Org Development Specialist, Senior
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
This position is generally in a normal indoor office setting with minimal noise levels and may involve bending, moving, lifting, and carrying materials that weigh up to15 pounds.
Not applicable for Training and Org Development Specialist, Senior
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbents must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.