Job Standard for Venture College, Director
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Venture College, Director Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75604
- Pay Grade: P13
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Director
- Family: Academic Programs
- Function: Academic Support
Provide direction, leadership and general management of the Venture College initiative at Boise State.
Oversees through subordinate Managers a large, complex organization with multiple functional disciplines/occupations, OR manages a program, regardless of size, that has critical impact upon the campus. Significant responsibility for formulating and administering policies and programs, manages significant human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a very high degree of autonomy. Frequently influences business decisions made by senior leadership. Oversees through subordinate Managers the accountability and stewardship of campus resources and the development of systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Negotiates and influences others to understand and accept new concepts, practices and approaches.
Bachelor’s Degree and 8 years experience or equivalent including 5 years managerial experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience in successfully maintaining, overseeing and evaluating a multi-layered endeavor, business or department with many constituents and competing priorities, with limited resources.
- Direct experience with developing entrepreneurship ecosystems, venture programming and community/university collaboration.
- Knowledge of academic environment and structure would be beneficial and desirable.
- Five years’ experience directing/managing entrepreneurship and venture development initiatives or departments, and engaging private industry on both an advisory and financial level.
60% of Time the Venture College, Director must:
- Supervise existing programs, assuring quality and timely delivery
- Lead development of new programs and competitions
- Responsible for pedagogy of programs
- Prepare and manage budget, participate in fundraising
- Establish and track performance measures to assess program success
- Develop and maintain relationships with other units on campus to increase the reach of VC
- Supervision of staff, mentorship of students
- Screen & recruit volunteers; Screen must not be too fine so that valuable assets are screened out, and must not be too coarse so that volunteers who do not bring value waste the time/experience of students
- Ability to build relationships across the University, including both faculty and students
- Remain active and involved in fundraising and friend raising
35% of Time the Venture College, Director
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Venture College, Director
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.