Job Standard for Venue Operations, Manager
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#.
Venue Operations, Manager Overview
- Work Type: Non-Classified/Professional
- Job Code: 75410
- Pay Grade: P5
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Manager
- Family: Performing Arts
- Function: Venue Services
Assist in all aspects of facility operations, including the development and implementation of standard operating policy procedures for the Venue, in accordance with University policy and procedures. Position has direct responsibility for the day-to-day operation, managing scheduled activities and events which entails supervision of all use by employees, tenants, contract workers and entities renting the facility or spaces contained within.
Provides direct supervision typically to professionals or skilled technical employees at the entry or intermediate level. Functions as advisor to unit and administration and sets goals and objectives for team members for achievement of operational results. Analyzes and resolves problems through drawing from prior experiences. Interprets policies (e.g., fiscal management, HR, contracts and grants, resource management in defined areas) and demonstrates solid subject matter knowledge. Exercises judgment within defined procedures and policies to determine appropriate action. Supervises staff to assure accountability and stewardship of campus resources (operational, financial, and human) in compliance with departmental goals and objectives.
Bachelor’s degree and 2 years of experience or equivalent professional experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written), interpersonal, organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work efficiently, prioritize tasks and multi-task.
- Ability to work as a member of a team and collaborate with others outside the venue.
- Ability to interpret and enforce venue policies and procedures.
- Ability to manage daily decision-making authority.
- Knowledge of supervisory best practices and procedures
- Availability to work nights and weekends as needed.
60% of Time the Venue Operations, Manager must:
- Assists in planning activities for venue including, but not limited to, facility master planning, strategic business planning and budget planning, along with development and prioritization of capital projects for improvements to the facility.
- Negotiates, develops scope of work and manages vendors, suppliers and facility service agreements including custodial, landscaping and post event cleaning contracts, as well as routine maintenance.
- Develops facility operations manuals, & policies and procedures; implements and provides training and associated support resources for employees.
- Oversees risk management and safety programs.
- Manages facility use arrangements with University, community and other users of venue; monitors event/activity schedules to avoid space or usage conflicts.
- Developing and implementing a long-term plan and schedule for the tasks and procedures associated with routine, preventative and deferred facility maintenance.
- Oversee and provide direction for all aspects of facility operations and support staff with the ultimate responsibility for timely preparedness.
- Oversees and provides direction as necessary for the space rental, use, setup, cleaning and teardown
- Establishes, maintains and communicates expectations for performance standards and training.
- Acts as Manager on Duty for venue events as assigned.
- Assists with the development, management and support of the fiscal and fiduciary responsibilities to the budget for the operations department.
- Monitors and manages operational and event expenses, approves staffing and equipment invoices and assists Business Manager with the preparation of event financial settlement.
- Provides administrative direction for daily and event custodial operations.
35% of Time the Venue Operations, Manager
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Venue Operations, Manager
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally (Occasionally: activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of the time) and/or up to 30 pounds amount of force frequently (Frequently: activity or condition exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time) to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body. General office work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.
The employee in this position must be able to work extended hours, including nights and weekends.
May be required to travel
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.