Job Standard for Veteran Services Center, Director
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Veteran Services Center, Director Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75312
- Pay Grade: P10
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Director
- Family: Student Services
- Function: Student Activities & Services
Direct the operations of the Veteran Services Center including the strategic development and oversight of all major veteran service programs. Provide professional leadership and management in the supervision and implementation for the Veterans Student Support Services program.
Manages a program, regardless of size, that has critical impact upon the campus. Significant responsibility for formulating and administering policies and programs, manages significant human, financial and physical resources and functions with a very high degree of autonomy. Frequently influences business decisions made by senior leadership. Oversees through subordinate Managers the accountability and stewardship of campus resources and the development of systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Negotiates and influences others to understand and accept new concepts, practices and approaches.
Bachelor’s Degree and 5 years experience or equivalent
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge of veteran affairs/services
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to present information effectively to senior level campus management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
- Grants administration experience.
- Experience with developing and maintaining partnerships with different ethnic communities
- Background in financial aid, admissions, and basic skills curriculum design.
- Previous experience working with low-income populations and or veterans.
60% of Time the Veteran Services Center, Director must:
- Direct and supervises unit operations to ensure compliance with departmental or campus policies, procedures, and defined internal controls.
- Ensures accountability and stewardship of campus resources (operational, financial, and human) in compliance with departmental standards and procedures.
- Direct, supervise, train, develop and evaluate all VSC employees ensuring compliance with VA guidelines.
- Address internal audit findings.
- Direct, develop and coordinate strategies and programs to assist with the enrollment, retention, graduation and employment of Veterans, service members, dependents and survivors.
- Responsible for writing Veterans – TRIO Student Support Services grants with possible additional grants written that fit within the University’s goals of retention, good standing and graduation of Veterans.
- Submit Annual Performance Reports to the U.S. Department of Education
- Develop awareness programs and workshops to educate faculty and staff on Veteran issues as they relate to higher education.
35% of Time the Veteran Services Center, Director
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Veteran Services Center, Director
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Veteran Services Center, Director
Veteran Services Center, Director
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.