Job Standard for WordPress Developer 3
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#.
WordPress Developer 3 Overview
- Work Type: Non-Classified/Professional
- Job Code: 75861
- Pay Grade: P10
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Family: Information Technology
- Function: Development
The WordPress Developer will be responsible for both back-end and front-end development; design, maintenance, and enhancement of the university’s primary WordPress theme and approved plugins; implementation of additional WordPress themes and plugins; site integrations; pipeline staging; QA testing; and security updates.
The successful candidate will have in-depth knowledge of front-end programming languages, practical experience with WordPress themes, and functional implementation standards.
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field and requiring limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of areas typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes. Problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices, and procedures.
Bachelor’s degree plus 5 years of relevant professional experience or equivalent. Prefer degree concentration in: Computer Information Systems, Management Information Systems, or Computer Science.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of code versioning tools
- Experience working with debugging tools
- Strong understanding of website architecture with a keen attention to details
- Collaborative approach to defining, designing, and developing web projects.
- Advanced analytical and troubleshooting skills with complex technical subjects and tasks
- Ability to be self-directed and manage multiple projects at a given time.
60% of Time the WordPress Developer 3 must:
- Collaborate with University Web Team (members of the Office of Information Technology and the Office of Communications and Marketing) to assess needs for theme development, child themes, integrations, plugins, and related functionality for the university’s hosted WordPress infrastructure.
- Maintain and enhance custom university themes developed by third-party vendors.
- Develop theme enhancements and related functionality for current university theme and new themes as requested.
- Diagnose, identify, and resolve theme bugs.
- Collaborate with Operations team to stage theme updates in test and production environments.
- Collaborate with Operations team to manage site back-end, including database and AWS integration.
- Collaborate with Web Development Team to assess needs for application integrations.
- Respond with urgency to time-sensitive initiatives from the Office of the President; collaborate with University Web Team to scope, plan, and develop solutions.
- Develop application integrations and related functionality as needed.
- Conduct website performance tests and suggest quantitative enhancements based on findings.
- Monitor performance of the live website.
- Respond to security vulnerabilities.
- Analyze project requirements. Formulate questions to understand details necessary to design, build and maintain an application.
- Determine and communicate the best technical design based on requirements..
- Define and break down required tasks; define tasks that are attainable, measurable and testable.
Test Code and Features:
- Write, maintain and execute integration tests to assure that new code is free from regressions and that the application’s features perform as intended.
- Perform QA to resolve issues and QAT failures. Analyze problem reports that result from QAT. Design and code fixes to issues raised during QAT.
- Work with the University Web Team to perform User Acceptance Testing. Analyze problem reports that result from UAT. Design and code fixes to issues raised during UAT.
- Own support tickets as assigned. Take responsibility for investigating and clarifying the issue, fixing the bug (and, where possible, its root cause), migrating the fix through testing and into production, and communicating the status of this work up to and including resolution.
- Analyze requests for enhancements. Design, develop, test and implement enhancements for applications currently in use.
Collaborate with Teammates and Other Teams
- Participate as a developer and on an agile scrum team. Work with teams to define, estimate and execute tasks in a sprint backlog.
- Communicate actively and consistently with technical and non-technical staff to share information and ideas necessary to further the team’s work.
- Research and advocate technologies and methods to improve the team’s processes and output.
35% of Time the WordPress Developer 3
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the WordPress Developer 3
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
General Office – Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally (Occasionally: activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of the time) and/or a negligible amount of force frequently (Frequently: activity or condition exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time) to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body. General office work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.
May be required to travel with overnight stays.
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.